Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

SNI support in Hive odbc driver

New Contributor

Hello,

I’m facing an issue while trying to connect with the hive ODBC driver through a proxy to access a hive database.

The SNI field in the request is populated with the proxy url instead of the destination url.

While performing a direct connection to the hive database, the SNI field is populated with the url of hive database, if I wanted to use a proxy between the server with Hive ODBC driver and the Hive database, the SNI field is populated with the proxy url.

In that case, my hive database, is enable to recognize the database I wanted to access to.

Is there any parameters for solved this issue?

Thanks

Thierry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

thanks for the answer, I also tried other ODBC drivers but they all act the same way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Guru

Could you please provide screenshots? Whatis the proxy used? Is it Knox ?

New Contributor

HI,

I have performed some more tests.

I capture some packets with wireshark on my server, one using the ODBC driver, one using chrome browser.

- When I use the ODBC driver with a proxy configuration, SNI in the packet has the proxy url value

Capture d’écran 2021-06-30 164514.jpg

- When I use chrome brower with a proxy configuration, SNI in the packet has the hive url value.

Capture d’écran 2021-06-30 172233.jpg

In my case, the value expected by a proxy in front of my hive database is the hive url (it's a traefik).

I can deduce, that the ODBC driver send the proxy url instead of the hive url.

Maybe this is normal (in compliance with a RFC !) ot this is a bug ? 

Is there a way to force the SNI in the driver configuration ?

thanks

Guru

I checked the driver documentation https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/other/connectors/hive-odbc/2-5-20/Cloudera-ODBC-Driver-for-Ap... , there is no way to force SNI .

New Contributor

thanks for the answer, I also tried other ODBC drivers but they all act the same way.