Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Sandbox 2.6.1 Connection reset when connecting to 127.0.0.1:8888

Sandbox 2.6.1 Connection reset when connecting to 127.0.0.1:8888

New Contributor

I've installed the 2.6.1 Sandbox on VirtualBox and have successfully got the screen where it tells me the IP address to connect to (127.0.0.1:8888). However, every time I try and access this address from my web browser (Chrome), the page "This site can't be reached. The connection was reset." keeps appearing.

I have already added the "sandbox.hortonworks.com" url to the hosts file, and have removed the preceding # to uncomment that line, but to no avail.

Furthermore, I've logged into the virtual machine and tried executing the commands "ambari-server start" and "ambari-agent start", but I get message "ambari-... the file or directory doesn't exist".

Can anyone help me out with this issue? I've looked at similar posts, however I believe the Sandbox has changed slightly from then, from what I understand there was a "pre-docker" Sandbox before the current release.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Sandbox 2.6.1 Connection reset when connecting to 127.0.0.1:8888

Mentor

@Neeraj Morar

Have a look at this official document it's the only source of truth.

Hope that helps

Heya @Neeraj Morar. Hmm, this is odd indeed. Let's get to the bottom of this!

Could you try navigating to: http://localhost:8080 ? Anything show up?

How are you logging into the VM? Do you have have access to a terminal? If so, punch in the following:

ssh root@localhost -p 2222 (password is hadoop)

Once in there, run "ambari-server restart" and report back :) If nothing comes up on port 8080, it's possible Ambari is failing to come up. Here, we attempt to restart it.

If you don't have access to a terminal, no biggie. Log back into the VM as you had done before and run the following:

docker ps -a

And let me know what get's printed. It's possible that the VM is running, but the sandbox somehow isn't running underneath.

Thanks

New Contributor

Hi @Edgar Orendain, navigating to http://localhost:8080 shows the same "Connection was reset" page. I'm logging into the VM through alt+F5 and punching in the username and password root and hadoop (I don't have access to Terminal, I'm using Windows 10).

Running the command "docker ps -a" returns this:

42391-hortonworks-sandbox.png

@Neeraj Morar Ah, okay - there's the culprit. See where it says "Existed ... 8 hours ago"? The internal sandbox went ahead and exited for some reason. In that same shell you had open: "/root/start_sandbox.sh" ... or if that file doesn't exist, then "/root/start_scripts/start_sandbox.sh" (can't quite remember at the moment).

Alternatively, you can power off and power on your VM. That should bring it back up.

New Contributor

@Edgar Orendain I ran "/root/start_scripts/start_sandbox.sh" however I'm getting a bunch of errors and it essentially saying it can't start the sandbox.

43393-sandbox-daemon-errors.png

43394-sandbox-daemon-errors-2.png

Restarting the VM does not resolve this issue.

@Neeraj Morar

To echo what Jay had posted below, if you haven't made many changes to the sandbox, the simplest solution may be to remove the VM and redeploy a fresh instance. Otherwise, it does indeed look like a filesystem issue which may be more difficult to diagnose than a fresh reboot would be.

Mentor

@Neeraj Morar

As root now you should now be able to do

ambari-server reset

Then

ambari-server start 

only then can you access the Ambari UI and start all the services

Hope that helps

Super Mentor

@Neeraj Morar

Please check if there is any issue with Filesystem/mount. As we see error like: "EXT4-fs error (device sda3): ext4_lookup:1580"
Please check the output of the following command to see if there any issue?

# fsck -n /dev/sda3
# ls -l /dev/sda3

Mostly it looks like a filesystem corruption, because we also see a message like "sshd: Structure needs cleaning"

This is strongly indicative of file-system corruption. You should unmount, make a sector-level backup of your disk, and then run e2fsck to see what is up.

As this is Sandbox, so if you have not done too much customization then better try to import a fresh HDP Sandbox instance and then try again to verify it that also causes the same issue.