Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Sandbox HDP GUI installation and Sandbox behavior

Sandbox HDP GUI installation and Sandbox behavior

New Contributor

Hello everyone.

I want to install gui in the sandbox hdp 2.6, i run it with virtual box, i install the vbox guest additions.

I also tried to follow the steps on this site :

http://ihorbobak.com/index.php/2015/05/07/how-to-add-gnome-gui-to-hortonworks-sandbox-2-1/

who describes the installation of gui in sandbox 2.1 but it doesn't exist anymore.

When i'm connected on ssh to the sandbox, i tried to run startx but i get an error that you can see below.

Otherwise there is something strange that i want to understand and i think this could be the cause of the problem :
when i'm connected to the sandbox via ssh, i'm on centos 6.9, but when i'm directly connected with the sandbox window i'm on centos 7.2

Why this is not the same system ?

And how can i install gui on this sandbox ?

The error when i run startx when i'm connected to ssh :

[root@sandbox ~]# startx
xauth:  file /root/.serverauth.19708 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.17.4
Release Date: 2015-10-28
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: c1bm 3.10.0-514.10.2.el7.x86_64 
Current Operating System: Linux sandbox.hortonworks.com 4.11.0-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 1 09:01:59 EDT 2017 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.11.0-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 root=UUID=0b65bf9e-d227-48fb-be57-b4d72368dcf0 ro crashkernel=auto rhgb quiet LANG=en_US.UTF-8
Build Date: 22 March 2017  02:59:47AM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.17.4-16.el6.centos 
Current version of pixman: 0.32.8
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.centos.org/Documentation
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Aug 24 08:08:03 2017
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
pci id for fd 10: 80ee:beef, driver (null)
gbm: failed to open any driver (search paths /usr/lib64/dri)
gbm: Last dlopen error: /usr/lib64/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
failed to load driver: kms_swrast
EGL_MESA_drm_image required.
gnome-session[19735]: devkit-power-gobject-WARNING: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
gnome-session[19735]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
gnome-session[19735]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-lg8g9a/socket
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-lg8g9a/socket.ssh
GNOME_KEYRING_PID=19762

** (gnome-settings-daemon:19761): WARNING **: Connection failed, reconnecting...

** (gnome-panel:19797): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1288: failed to load applet OAFIID:GnoteApplet:
(null)

** (gnome-panel:19797): WARNING **: panel-applet-frame.c:1359: failed to load applet OAFIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet (cannot get property bag):
Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/INV_OBJREF:1.0'

(gnome-panel:19797): Gtk-WARNING **: A floating object was finalized. This means that someone
called g_object_unref() on an object that had only a floating
reference; the initial floating reference is not owned by anyone
and must be removed with g_object_ref_sink().

** (gnome-settings-daemon:19761): WARNING **: Connection failed, reconnecting...

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Sandbox HDP GUI installation and Sandbox behavior

@Sofian Benabdelhak

When you are running the sandbox on Virtualbox, you are actually running a Linux VM which has a Docker container running inside of that. When you use the Virtualbox UI to connect to the VM console, you are connecting to the VM, not the Docker instance. This configuration is new as of the HDP 2.5 version of the sandbox and has caused some confusion.

Is there something specific you are trying to do with a GUI? The sandbox is intended to learn the ropes of HDP and is primarily validated against the associated sandbox tutorials. There are limitations of the sandbox for uses outside of the expected use case.

Re: Sandbox HDP GUI installation and Sandbox behavior

New Contributor

Hi!

I know it's a fairly old post / question but I've managed to found a workaround for the problem. A step-by-step guide is available at https://blog.hegistvan.net/2018/08/how-to-install-gnome-on-top-of-hdp.html

Cheers,

Hegi

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here