Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Sandbox installation issues

New Contributor

Hi, I am getting below error . I am using Oracle VM virtual box 4.2 and HDP_2.5_virtualbox.ova. I tried using virtual box 5.1 as well.still getting same error. My laptop is windows 7 with 4GB RAM. Please help me in resolving this error.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Hortonworks Docker Sandbox.

Failed to enable and lock VT-x features. (VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKING_FAILED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Sreejith Surendran

You must have a CPU with the VT-x features enabled, which is typically done via the BIOS. Also, you need at least 8GB of ram to run the sandbox properly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Guru

@Sreejith Surendran

You must have a CPU with the VT-x features enabled, which is typically done via the BIOS. Also, you need at least 8GB of ram to run the sandbox properly.

Contributor

@Michael Young... It says "Failed to enable and lock VT-x features".... but you have mentioned "You must have a CPU with the VT-x features enabled".... error ,sg says "failed to enable".... can you pls clarify what is required here ? I am also getitng below error :

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Hortonworks Docker Sandbox.

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Super Guru
@Mayank Shekhar

VT-x is a hardware feature in most modern CPUs. It is can be enabled/disabled in the BIOS of your computer. If you do not have the feature, then Virtualization won't work (VMWare or VirtualBox). You can read more here at this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/213795/how-to-enable-intel-vt-x-in-your-computers-bios-or-uefi-firmware/.

I can't give you specific instructions on how to enable this feature, as it is different for every make and model of computer. You can also read more here: http://www.itworld.com/article/2981515/virtualization/virtualbox-diagnose-and-fix-vt-xamd-v-hardware...