Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Scalability on HDP on Cloud (AWS, Azure)

Scalability on HDP on Cloud (AWS, Azure)

Contributor

My question is around the scalability factor in the HDP flavors on the cloud (specifically Azure and AWS)

I understand that HDInsight cluster can scale on demand with few clicks.

What about the following? Can i scale these similar to HDInsight or i need to manually spin a new node and attach to the cluster?

1. HDCloud on AWS

2. HDP on Azure market place

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Scalability on HDP on Cloud (AWS, Azure)

Guru

1-2. In both cases you can either scale manually via Ambari (as you would on-prem but against provisioned cloud instances) but better ... if deployed via Cloudbreak you can auto-scale via configuration.

Contributor

@Greg Keys My understanding was that CloudBreak can be used to deploy HDP only on the cloud. Can it be used for deploying HDP on-premise, HDC and HDP on Azure market place?

Guru

You are correct in that Cloudbreak only deploys HDP and only to the cloud. The cloud platforms it deploys to are Azure, AWS, Google, OpenStack. So if you have an on-prem OpenStack cloud you could deploy using Cloudbreak. If you have on-prem bare metal, you provision those and then install Ambari on one (command line) then start Ambari and deploy the cluster using Ambari's workflow wizard. CloudBreak cannot be used to deploy HDC and HDP on Azure marketplace.