Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Secured architecture design

Highlighted

Secured architecture design

Contributor

Hello,

I'm in a process of securing our 20 hadoop clusters used by hundred of users.

Though I have understood (and tested on a Sandbox) the needs of deploying the components Kerberos-Ranger-knox to get a proper securisation, this solution looks really complex when it's about to manage multiple clusters and hundred of users that are referenced in a LDAP central repository.

Indeed, as far as I have understood, I need to create as many principals as users, generate keytabs files per user and per Hadoop services, and populate thoses files onto the Hadoop clusters. This solution seems very tedious to setup and maintain for the Ops people.

The global architecture could be as follow :

14934-simplified-security-archi.png

However, ideally, I would like an user to get authenticated with LDAP (as it is currently the case, through SSH (or Knox)), and obtains automatically a Kerberos token and the proper autorisations (provided by Ranger) to use the Hadoop services and access to its HDFS directories.

From the documentation, I don't see such kind of "simple" way of working when dealing with LDAP !?? Did I miss something ?

Is anyone has already setup such kind of infrastructure on Enterprise-grade production clusters ?

I would be glad to get some feedback or any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds

Laurent

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Secured architecture design

Guru

@Laurent lau Not able to see the architecture image that you have added. Can you please upload it once again?

Contributor

Hello @ Vipin Rathor,

Please find attached the architecture image :

simplified-security-archi.png

Regards

Laurent

Highlighted

@Laurent lau

To secure services, you would need to kerberize the cluster and set up one-way trust with your AD. Below is the documentation for doing that:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.4.0/bk_Security_Guide/content/kerb-oneway-trust...

For configuring LDAP/AD authentication for Ambari:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.4.0/bk_Security_Guide/content/configuring_ambar...

Highlighted

Contributor

thanks @Eyad Garelnabi for your answer.

The thing is that I'm using LDAP, and not AD.

rgds

Laurent

Highlighted

Contributor

Hello,

I'm wondering weither it's possible to simplify the architecture by allowing Knox to retrieve a generic Kerberos token as soon as we get authenticated on the Knox gateway with our LDAP user account ?

any clue ?

thanks in advance.

rgds

Laurent

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here