Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Shutdown and power off to move a CDH cluster physically

Re: Shutdown and power off to move a CDH cluster physically

Expert Contributor

Great information dlo I'll keep that in mind.  

Always learning something new each day :-)

Thanks

Explorer

Great discussion!  Going back to the point of about using CM Vs local "service commands", I find the following about one of my data nodes in my 20+ node cluster:

1. 6 roles (HDFS, YARM, Maprduce, HBase, etc)

2. No running services (via service --status-all, or chkconfig --list)

3. Serveral processes (ps -ef | grep cloudera) - running through "/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_67-cloudera/bin/java"

Given this, I have to manage the cluster using CM only.

Additionally, I have two 1-node pseudo clusters with CDH 5.2 and 5.3.  I have to manage these installation through "services".  

Super Collaborator

So there are 2 methods of deployment for CDH, Packages (which is deprecated) and Parcels (which is the preferred method).

Nauseous, it sounds like you might have a mixed deployment type?  If you have the cdh RPM packages present on the system, but have deployed CDH through parcels as well, there is probably significant issues with getting CM to manage configuration properly (the deploy client configurations from CM is not going to pass to the generic /etc/* paths the server based configuration parameters).

This content here will be critical reading for you on the design of CM and its approach to managing CDH

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/cm_intro_primer.html

Super Collaborator

Also for everyone please keep in mind we have free training video content from university.cloudera.com on CM for folks to self educate from, here:

http://cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/training/library/cloudera-manager-training.html

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

Hi Tgrayson

I believe Anant Raman asked the question.