Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Spark SQL permission denied for hive table

Highlighted

Spark SQL permission denied for hive table

New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I facing some issues while trying to select/create table from Spark to Hive.

Here is what I get when I run the simple command from pyspark in Spark 2.3

spark.sql("SELECT * FROM test").show()

where "test" is a simple table I created in Hive with the user hive

pyspark.sql.utils.AnalysisException: u'org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Unable to fetch table test. org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=spark, access=EXECUTE, inode="/warehouse/tablespace/managed/hive":hive:hadoop:drwx------\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:399)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkTraverse(FSPermissionChecker.java:315)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:242)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:193)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkTraverse(FSPermissionChecker.java:606)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkTraverse(FSDirectory.java:1799)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkTraverse(FSDirectory.java:1817)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.resolvePath(FSDirectory.java:674)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirStatAndListingOp.getFileInfo(FSDirStatAndListingOp.java:114)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.getFileInfo(FSNamesystem.java:3106)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.getFileInfo(NameNodeRpcServer.java:1154)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.getFileInfo(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:966)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:524)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:1025)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$RpcCall.run(Server.java:876)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$RpcCall.run(Server.java:822)\n\tat java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)\n\tat javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1730)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:2682)\n;'

And here is what i get when i login with the spark user into hive and try to select the test table :

Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException Unable to fetch table test. org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=spark, access=EXECUTE,      inode="/warehouse/tablespace/managed/hive":hive:hadoop:drwx------
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:399)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkTraverse(FSPermissionChecker.java:315)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:242)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:193)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkTraverse(FSPermissionChecker.java:606)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkTraverse(FSDirectory.java:1799)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkTraverse(FSDirectory.java:1817)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.resolvePath(FSDirectory.java:674)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirStatAndListingOp.getFileInfo(FSDirStatAndListingOp.java:114)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.getFileInfo(FSNamesystem.java:3106)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.getFileInfo(NameNodeRpcServer.java:1154)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.getFileInfo(ClientNamenodeProtocolServerSideTranslatorPB.java:966)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocol.proto.ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos$ClientNamenodeProtocol$2.callBlockingMethod(ClientNamenodeProtocolProtos.java)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Server$ProtoBufRpcInvoker.call(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:524)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:1025)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$RpcCall.run(Server.java:876)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$RpcCall.run(Server.java:822)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:422)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1730)
        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:2682) (state=42000,code=40000)

I far as i understand, my spark user does not have the right to read or create a table in Hive. I've tried many thing while searching on the net but nothing worked.

-I first copied the /etc/hive/conf/hive-site.xml to /etc/spark2/conf before that i wasn't event able to see Hive table with spark.

-I tried to put Hive authoriation mode to SQL standard authorization, but I had the same result

-I also tried to grant privileges to my spark user into hive:

hive> set role admin;
hive> grant all on database default to user spark;

But nothing of that worked.

So if you have some ideas on what i should do, i would be glad to hear them.

Thank you.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here