Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Sqoop: ^@(NULL) as field delimiter

Sqoop: ^@(NULL) as field delimiter

Explorer

Hi,

I wanted to load data from a hdfs underlying hive directory through Sqoop to my-sql and db2. The data contains \000 as delimiter. Hive accepts \000 as delimiter but sqoop fails. Sqoop works for other control characters as I tried for \001 and \020.

Could you suggest how to run sqoop with \000 as delimiter. This will be used for both sql and db2. I couldn't find this delimiter in the Sqoop generated .JAVA. So, not sure how this is handled. Could someone explain this please.

I am guessing because my-sql and db2 considers \000 as NULL while hive considers \N as NULL.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Sqoop: ^@(NULL) as field delimiter

Explorer

In Sqoop user guide, it is mentioned as:

Delimiters may be specified as:

a character (--fields-terminated-by X)

an escape character (--fields-terminated-by \t). Supported escape characters are:

\0 (NUL) - This will insert NUL characters between fields or lines, or will disable enclosing/escaping if used for one of the --enclosed-by, --optionally-enclosed-by, or --escaped-by arguments.

Re: Sqoop: ^@(NULL) as field delimiter

Super Collaborator

Hi @Revathy Mourouguessane,

Yes, You could handle the senario by using the sqoop-Hcat integration where as sqoop gabs the metadata from Hcat and process.

this is a great way to export the data as you can leave the format (not to worry about the serde / field separators etc..)

example Export code

sqoop export –-connect <jdbc_driver_detalisWithHostandPort> –-username <mysqlUser> –-password <mysqlPassword> –-table <target_tablename(mysql/postgres)> –-hcatalog-table <hiveTable> --hcatalog-database <HiveDatabase>

more on this can be found at here

Hope this Helps !!