Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Sqoop: Type mapping for type char in Sybase ASE is not working

Sqoop: Type mapping for type char in Sybase ASE is not working

New Contributor

Using Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) 15.7, Sqoop 1.4.6.2.5.0.0-1245 and jconn4 as driver.

I have a table in Sybase ASE with some columns of type 'char' with various length (sometimes called precision in metadata dump), some at 10, some at 1 - so basically char(10) and char(1).

When importing with scoop with table creation it maps the char columns wrongly.

Doing something like this

sqoop import --driver com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybDriver --connect "jdbc:sybase:Tds:XXX/XXX" --username XXX --password-file XXX --table XXX -m 1 --create-hcatalog-table ...

I notice it gets the column type readout wrong for the char columns. It says 0 for Precision, not 10, 1 or whatever is chosen in Sybase.

18/07/24 10:18:36 INFO hcat.SqoopHCatUtilities: Database column name - info map : 
  XXX : [Type : 1,Precision : 0,Scale : 0]

Later, at create table phase, it decides to map the char columns to char(65535) no matter the actual length in Sybase, like this

18/07/24 10:18:36 INFO hcat.SqoopHCatUtilities: HCatalog Create table statement:
create table `XXX`.`XXX` (
        `XXX` char(65535),

That then fails, as char is only valid in Hive between 1 and 255.

18/07/24 10:18:42 INFO hcat.SqoopHCatUtilities: FAILED: RuntimeException Char length 65535 out of allowed range [1, 255]

I can override the wrong automatic mapping manually with --map-column-hive XXX="char(10)", but I want to avoid that as I need it automatically to work for a lot of tables.

Hope anyone can help fix this issue. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Sqoop: Type mapping for type char in Sybase ASE is not working

New Contributor

Got it working now by using another driver. Using net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver it works (instead of com.sybase.jdbc4.jdbc.SybDriver). A little strange it doesn't work with Sybase's own drivers.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here