Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Sqoop import/export hive vs hcatalog

Highlighted

Sqoop import/export hive vs hcatalog

Expert Contributor

Hii,

while importing tables from mysql to hive using sqoop you can import using hive-import argument as well as hcatalog-table argument. I am bit confuse about how to select between hive and hcatalog option as both imports to hive database tables.

Is there any specific condition to use --hive-import and --hcatalog-table arguments to import using sqoop ?

Thank You.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Sqoop import/export hive vs hcatalog

Super Collaborator

Actually the hive commands should result mainly in hcatalog commands for most table operation. I only found this hint:

HCatalog supports all Hive Data Definition Language except those operations that require running a MapReduce job. For commands that are supported, any variances are noted below.

Taken from https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HCatalog+CLI#HCatalogCLI-HiveCLI

I have not checked if there is any difference in performance, but I doubt it would be significant.

Re: Sqoop import/export hive vs hcatalog

Expert Contributor
@Harald Berghoff

My confusion is hcat points to the hive metastore only. so is there any difference between using --hive-import or --hcat-table to import to hive table ?