Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Sqoop support for importing data from mainframe.

Sqoop support for importing data from mainframe.

New Contributor

Hi All,

as per the below link

http://blog.syncsort.com/2014/06/big-iron-big-data...

new open source contribution to Sqoop 1.4.6 from Syncsort will provide an implementation for the new Mainframe Import tool. This implementation support for all Mainframe (z/OS) record formats with the ability to specify COBOL Copybook metadata, and VSAM file formats. Syncsort’s plug-in provides a feature-rich version supporting all data types, e.g. Packed-Decimal, etc. and translation of EBCDIC encoded fixed length binary data to ASCII encoded variable length text in HDFS.

Is anyone used this new open source implementation, please provide the link or usage steps as I have to import data from mainframe system which contains binary and packed decimal data in VSAM files.

Thanks in Advamce...

Abhishek

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Sqoop support for importing data from mainframe.

@Abhishek Soni

Sqoop official guide provides good docs on the same topic.

https://sqoop.apache.org/docs/1.4.6/SqoopUserGuide...

Highlighted

Mentor

@Abhishek Soni has this been resolved? Can you post your solution or accept best answer?

Highlighted

New Contributor

I tried moving data from mainframe z/os to apache hive using SQOOP 1.4.6, it is possible for flat files and GDC files. Tried with VSAM files, this type of file is showing error like no dataset found. After analyzing in depth VSAM files are received as null object. It seems like bug in SQOOP or Syncsort. Can anybody fix this ?

Highlighted

@Abhishek Bafna, you could try this COBOL data source for Spark, whose name is Cobrix. It is open-source.

It is focused on two things: 1) ease of use, 2) performance.

DISCLAIMER: I work for ABSA and I one of the developers behind this library.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here