Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Standby Name node down????

Standby Name node down????

Contributor

my standby namenode was down. when i try to start the standby namenode from ambari it was come up. what would be the reason for standby namenode down. please let me know where can i find standby namenode logs.

Please help me..

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Standby Name node down????

Mentor

@kanna k

Can you check the /var/log/message is there a useful message? The namenode log should be on the standby NameNode !

Contributor

i didn't find any word called namenode in /var/logmessage

Mentor

@kanna k

We are not looking for the NameNode logs here but I suspect some memory leak that brings down the Standby namenode look for something memory related like

kernel: Memory cgroup out of memory: 
kernel: Killed process xxxx

HTH

Contributor

sry @Geoffrey Shelton Okot i didn't find the words like memory ,cgroup ,kernel,killed.and at present there is no alerts on Ambari UI how to find the root cause....

Mentor

@kanna k

Have you checked on the standby namenode in /var/log/hadoop/hdfs

Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot

i have checked but i didn't find any logs in that directory

Contributor

Standby is again went down today can you please help me solve this

Mentor

@kanna k

Can you find the Standby NN logs on the standby node please share the log & out file. IS NTP running in your cluster can you check that all the cluster time is in sync?

Highlighted

Guru

@kanna k, you can find out location of standby namenode logs from hadoop-env.sh. Look for HADOOP_LOG_DIR value to find out correct location of the log .

Example:

export HADOOP_LOG_DIR=/var/log/hadoop/$USER

In this example, standby namenode log will be present at /var/log/hadoop/hdfs dir.