Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Super Noob DNS routing and setup for Ambari Server and FQDN registration.

Super Noob DNS routing and setup for Ambari Server and FQDN registration.

New Contributor

Hello everyone!

I am a student researcher working with Hadoop and Ambari on CentOS 7. I have a domain name (let's call it abc.xyz) and I am trying to setup my own hadoop 2.5.3.0 cluster with two PC's namely master and slave1 (more PC's will be added later and will be called slave2/3/4/5...). I am beyond lost. my domain name's NameServer is currently pointing to NameCheap's hosting services. I did the default install for ambari-server on both of the PC's running CentOS 7. My question - for now is, "How do I assign sub-domains to each host?"

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Super Noob DNS routing and setup for Ambari Server and FQDN registration.

New Contributor

In centos 7 set your hostname in

/etc/sysconfig/network

something like master1.abc.xyz. Get your ip and add this and your host name to /etc/hosts. Make sure you have entries for each server in your hosts file like so:

172.26.15.16 master1.abc.xyz

72.26.98.253 master4.abc.xyz

Both nodes should now be able to talk to one another using their fully qualified hostnames. You could create sub domains via your hosting provider but this is not required for testing or learning. Hosts file will work like a local DNS server to each host and they will use this as a primary source for looking up DNS before using the server listed in /etc/resolv.conf for domain name resolution.

Re: Super Noob DNS routing and setup for Ambari Server and FQDN registration.

New Contributor

So I don't actually have to purchase a domain in order to use abc.xyz? I just have to configure my files as such on each machine?