Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

The root volume created by EC2 provisioning is too small (<5G) causing alarms in the console

Highlighted

The root volume created by EC2 provisioning is too small (<5G) causing alarms in the console

New Contributor

I am attempting to build a cloud in EC2 following the documentation in [1].  When the manager provisions the nodes, the root volume ends up having less than 5G of free space, triggering alarms for /var/log/cloudera-scm-agent .

There doesn't seem to be a way to specify a good size through the GUI.  I have considered symlinking this path to the ephemeral data volume (do I really need these logs to be persistent?) but that seems like a bad idea.  I made a quick attempt at creating an AMI with a larger volume, but there are authentication issues during installation that I don't know how to fix.

I think the ideal short-term solution would be to modify a config file, causing cloud-init to provision with a larger root volume, but I have not been able to find such a config.  Thoughts?

Cloudera Enterprise 4.3 Trial

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.4 (the nodes are 6.3)

[1]

http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/03/how-to-create-a-cdh-cluster-on-amazon-ec2-via-cloudera-manager...

1 REPLY 1

Re: The root volume created by EC2 provisioning is too small (<5G) causing alarms in the console

Rising Star

Use the High Storage HS1  EC2 instances, which are recommended for Hadoop.