Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Trouble Installing CDH 5.4.7 in EC2

Trouble Installing CDH 5.4.7 in EC2

New Contributor

Hello All,

I have two problems after installing CDH 5.4.7 in Amazon EC2 instances. One is java initialization error during hive command, second one is hadoop version mismatch.

What I did?

I spinned up 5 instances in EC2 ( Data node configuration: four t2.medium, OS Ubuntu 12.04, 4 gb ram ,10GB ssd. Name Node Config: One m3.large, 8 GB ram, 32 gb ssd, ubuntu 12.04 ) and downloaded cloudera.bin using 

wget http://archive.cloudera.com/cm5/installer/latest/cloudera-manager-installer.bin"

I ran this binary and cluster setup went well and got complete. 

Problem #1:

I then ssh'ed into one of my ec2 instance typed in hive and i got the below error 

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.common.LogUtils.initHiveLog4j(LogUtils.java:58)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:631)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:615)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
	at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:197)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unrecognized Hadoop major version number: 0.20.2-cdh3u5
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.shims.ShimLoader.getMajorVersion(ShimLoader.java:169)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.shims.ShimLoader.loadShims(ShimLoader.java:134)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.shims.ShimLoader.getHadoopShims(ShimLoader.java:95)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.conf.HiveConf$ConfVars.<clinit>(HiveConf.java:356)
	... 8 more

Problem 2: I ran hadoop version to check the installed version and shocked because in GUI i picked CDH 5.4.7 and the installed version seems to be CDH3 which is really weird. So is this some problem with cloudera installation binary itself? Kindly help in resolving both.

~# hadoop version

Hadoop 0.20.2-cdh3u5
Subversion file:///data/1/tmp/nightly_2012-10-05_17-10-50_3/hadoop-0.20-0.20.2+923.421-1~maverick -r 30233064aaf5f2492bc687d61d72956876102109
Compiled by root on Fri Oct  5 18:46:31 PDT 2012
From source with checksum de1770d69aa93107a133657faa8ef467

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Trouble Installing CDH 5.4.7 in EC2

Contributor

Hi,

Your post has been moved to the Cloudera Manager forum. Cloudera Manager, as you've observed, will consume EC2 instances and set up CDH clusters on them. In case you're not already aware of it, Cloudera Director will provision EC2 instances for you and then use Cloudera Manager to deploy CDH clusters on those instances. Cloudera Director provides lifecycle management of cloud instances, including operations such as growing and shrinking of clusters. You can download for free and learn more about Cloudera Director from here: http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/products-and-services/director.html.

Re: Trouble Installing CDH 5.4.7 in EC2

New Contributor

Thanks for moving to the right section. By the way, I tried downloading cloudera director earlier and it throws error from both deb and yum repo's. Also, the link you have given doesn't show any links to download. I even tried setting  the cloudera director in deb lists in ubuntu , still unsuccessful. 

I tried installing cloudera manager binary in GCE and it shows current version and my problem is solved.  But with AWS, I still have issues and hadoop version mismatch issue and cdh version issue exists.

So if someone can try installing latest cloudera manager in EC2 and confirm whether its a bug that would be helpful.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here