Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Trouble Installing Cloudera Manger and CDH on EC2

Trouble Installing Cloudera Manger and CDH on EC2

New Contributor

I followed the instructions here:

http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/manager/5-1-x/Cloudera-Manager-Installation-Guide/cm5ig_instal...

but can't log into http://public hostname:7180, where "public hostname" is substituted with the public dns of the namenode or a datanode, once the installer finishes.

The page doesn't load. What am I doing wrong?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Trouble Installing Cloudera Manger and CDH on EC2

Cloudera Employee

Hello,

Thanks for your question.

You’d need to identify if it is an AWS or CM issue. So first, run this command on the Cluster level (locally), to verify that you have port 7180 listens:

netstat -pltn | grep 7180

To check if it’s an AWS issue, check connectivity over the port 7180 from your end (remotely):

nc -v $YOUR_PUBLIC_HOST_NAME 7180

If it doesn’t pass, then check the security group rules of your AWS environment and make sure that you have allowed port 7180/tcp in AWS inbound security group rules. In fact, you'd need to allow all the related ports of CDH in the inbound rules (7180, 7182, 7183, and 7432).

Another point to consider, is your server (instance) firewall. Make sure it allows the access over the related port/s.

Else, I'd check the CM server log while you are trying to connect for more information.

These are a basic steps to start investigating, if you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to update this post!

Thanks!

Laith Al Obaidy

New Contributor

Hi Laith.

I thought I'd written a response earlier -- this morning -- but it looks like I didn't post my reply correctly.  Thanks for the help.

So I added inbound ports 22, 7180, 7182, 7183, and 7432 to my AWS security group rules, even though the previous rules were set to allow all inbound/outbound traffic, to be sure:Screenshot 2017-03-30 12.50.49.pngAnd I verified that the firewall on my laptop was off.  Then, I checked port 7180 from my laptop and from EC2 using the commands you provided.  The connection is refused from my end, and port 7180 doesn't appear to be listening on EC2:Screenshot 2017-03-30 13.12.13.png

There doesn't appear anything in the log about port 7180 either:Screenshot 2017-03-30 14.47.37.pngPlease advise !

Victor Yíng

Cloudera Employee

Hello Victor,

Thanks for your response!

As I can see, the problem is not within your AWS configurations, as you should be able to connect through the security group rules that you configured.

However, as you have a null output by running netstat one the server itself, that means your CM is not running or is not configured properly. You'd need to check the status of the service itself inside the server.

First, investigate if the server is running or not:

service cloudera-scm-server status

If it is not running, try to restart the service again, and wait for a minute or two so the service completely started:

service cloudera-scm-server restart

And while you attempt to login, its good idea to monitor the server log to see what is going on on the cluster level:

tail /var/log/cloudera-scm-server/cloudera-scm-server.log -f

Let me know if you need any help!

Thanks!

Laith

New Contributor

Good morning Laith. I think my CM must not be conifured correctly -- it's been running on "namenode" and I'm still not able to login at http://ec2-54-210-41-157.compute-1.amazonaws.com:7180.  How do I determine which if any of the settings are configured correctly? Should the CM server be running on each of my "datanodes" too?

Also, I don't notice any activity in the log when I try to login at the address above.

Thanks again for help.

Cheers,

Victor 

Super Guru

@hadoopuser2000,

Cloudera Manager is installed on only one host.  We don't recommend installing it on the same host as hadoop components unless you are just doing testing.

Cloudera Manager Agents are installed on each host that is managed in the cluster.

That said, Cloudera Manager will start up and listen on port 7180.  If you it isn't doing that, check the cloudera-scm-server.log to find out what happened.  Let us know the lines in the log.  It could be that CM cannot connect to the database server it is configured to use for its storage.

-Ben

New Contributor

Hi Ben.

Here are the last few lines of the log:

2017-04-01 01:40:18,651 INFO main:org.quartz.core.QuartzScheduler: Scheduler meta-data: Quartz Scheduler (v2.0.2) 'com.cloudera.cmf.scheduler-1' with instanceId 'NON_CLUSTERED'
  Scheduler class: 'org.quartz.core.QuartzScheduler' - running locally.
  NOT STARTED.
  Currently in standby mode.
  Number of jobs executed: 0
  Using thread pool 'org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool' - with 1 threads.
  Using job-store 'org.quartz.simpl.RAMJobStore' - which does not support persistence. and is not clustered.

2017-04-01 01:40:18,651 INFO main:org.quartz.impl.StdSchedulerFactory: Quartz scheduler 'com.cloudera.cmf.scheduler-1' initialized from an externally provided properties instan$
2017-04-01 01:40:18,651 INFO main:org.quartz.impl.StdSchedulerFactory: Quartz scheduler version: 2.0.2
2017-04-01 01:40:19,265 INFO main:com.cloudera.cmf.scheduler.CmfScheduler: Added command schedule '1' to the scheduler
2017-04-01 01:40:19,294 INFO main:com.cloudera.server.cmf.components.EmbeddedDbManager: Reading database properties from /etc/cloudera-scm-server/db.properties
2017-04-01 01:40:19,508 INFO main:com.cloudera.enterprise.CommonMain: Reading database properties from /etc/cloudera-scm-server/db.mgmt.properties
2017-04-01 01:40:19,509 INFO main:com.cloudera.enterprise.CommonMain: Reading database properties from /etc/cloudera-scm-server/db.mgmt.properties
2017-04-01 01:40:19,509 INFO main:com.cloudera.enterprise.CommonMain: Reading database properties from /etc/cloudera-scm-server/db.mgmt.properties
2017-04-01 01:40:19,509 INFO main:com.cloudera.enterprise.CommonMain: Reading database properties from /etc/cloudera-scm-server/db.properties
2017-04-01 01:40:19,514 INFO main:com.cloudera.server.cmf.components.EmbeddedDbManager: Reading embedded database password from /var/lib/cloudera-scm-server-db/data/generated_p$
2017-04-01 01:40:19,514 INFO main:com.cloudera.enterprise.CommonMain: Reading database properties from /etc/cloudera-scm-server/db.properties
2017-04-01 01:40:19,572 INFO main:com.cloudera.cmf.service.config.components.ProcessStalenessDetector: Staleness check will use thread pool of size 1
2017-04-01 01:40:19,596 INFO main:com.cloudera.cmf.cdhclient.util.CDHUrlClassLoader: Detected that this program is running in a JAVA 1.7.0_67 JVM. CDH5 jars will be loaded from$
2017-04-01 01:40:19,597 INFO main:com.cloudera.cmf.cdhclient.CdhExecutorFactory: Adding options to bad options list:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

New Contributor

@hadoopuser2000 wrote:

Good morning Laith. I think my CM must not be conifured correctly -- it's been running on "namenode" and I'm still not able to login at http://ec2-54-210-41-157.compute-1.essays.agency.amazonaws.com:7180.  How do I determine which if any of the settings are configured correctly? Should the CM server be running on each of my "datanodes" too?

Also, I don't notice any activity in the log when I try to login at the address above.

Thanks again for help.

Cheers,

Victor 

Hello Victor,

Have you managed to fix it? What is the solution? I followed all the steps from the guide here https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/director/latest/topics/director_get_started_aws_install_cm_cd... and still I can't login.

Super Guru

@Altenb,

This thread is pretty old and didn't run to conclusion, so I think it would be a good idea to start from scratch in a new thread so we can understand what issue you are seeing.

Could you walk through what you did, are trying to do, and what behavior you are seeing?

Screen shots and log files are useful if you can share them.

When you say you can't login, we need to understand very clearly what you are doing and how it fails.

Thanks,

Ben

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here