Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Trying to sort out cloudera products. What is inside what?

Explorer

Hi, a little confused here.

On the website I see Cloudera Enterprise and Cloudera Express and CDH and Cloudera Manager.   It looks like

CDH is the actual product content?  

And CM is the thing that installs it all for you

And you can install either Enterprise or Express?  

And CM then provides the UI after installing?

is that right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Fletcher,

Hue is available in both Express and Enterprise.

If you haven't added the Hue service, you can do so via the Add Service link on the dropdown menu next to your cluster name on the home page.

Once you've added Hue, click on the Hue service, then click on the link to the web UI. By default it listens on port 8888, so you can probably also just navigate your browser to the right host and add ":8888".

Here's documentation for how to add a service (such as Hue) in Cloudera Manager:
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM5/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Managing-...

Thanks,
Darren

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Master Collaborator

Cloudera has two products, Cloudera Express and Cloudera Enterprise:

Cloudera Express (FREE): includes the open source platform, CDH, and Cloudera Manager (cluster/system management software). No support.

Cloudera Enterprise (PAID): Includes CDH, Cloudera Manager + extended enterprise features, and support & indemnity. Pricing is based on for what components you want support (see editions here).

You can also choose to use CDH without Cloudera Manager, but you'll save yourself a lot of time and work if you do use the latter.

I hope that helps!

Explorer

YEs thanks a lot, that is what I thought it  sorted out to be

Can I ask one quick followup?   I cant figure out where Hue is in the Enterprise version.  I have found a number of webpages that show how to get it going, but .... they all seem to have different instructions.  

Is there one place you could send me to find definitive instructions?    I installed CM 5.1, so whatever else came in with that is what I have

thanks a lot

Fletcher Lokey

Hi Fletcher,

Hue is available in both Express and Enterprise.

If you haven't added the Hue service, you can do so via the Add Service link on the dropdown menu next to your cluster name on the home page.

Once you've added Hue, click on the Hue service, then click on the link to the web UI. By default it listens on port 8888, so you can probably also just navigate your browser to the right host and add ":8888".

Here's documentation for how to add a service (such as Hue) in Cloudera Manager:
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CM5/latest/Cloudera-Manager-Managing-...

Thanks,
Darren

Explorer

Sometimes I go too fast into big things.  Cloudera is pretty big 

I finally got CM installed and the UI up so I could log in and all, and I started looking around the place.  I knew of course that installing on a single VMWare, I would only have a one-node cluster.  Completely never realized that installing CM and logging in would not create a cluster.   I looked all around the home page for the cluster and the dropdown, where in the world could it be that you were saying?????

finally gave up and googled for "cloudera manager home page add service link" and got a screen shot that showed a list of clusters where I had nothing at all.

DOH!!   I just now clicked the button to Add Cluster and now I am on my way.   

Explorer

I'm such a noob.  I clicked my own post as the solution, whereas dlo deserves it

Thanks All!

Explorer

oh dear

It took a while to build the cluster, even with just one node.  It was getting late but I stayed up, not wanting to leave before it was all done.  The Vmware has hung overnight more than once.   So I waited it out, and at the end it gave me the choice of setting up services so I chose the All option, which included Hue.  It did something called First Run, which bombed out about halfway, failed on something like couldnt find a file or some such.   So I went back into the UI and found the new cluster and selected to Add Service > Hue which completed successfully.  I looked online for what port to go to for Hue [it said it was running] and found 8088 but that didnt connect in firefox

At that point I did go to bed, and I shut down the VM as I have been doing to avoid hangs.   This morning I start it up and for the first time in the several days I have been playing with it, I cant connect to CM at 7180.   I restarted the VM, and verified that CM is running

[root@localhost ~]# service cloudera-scm-server start
cloudera-scm-server is already running

so did something break when I did the cluster and added services???

Explorer

sometimes just ....  who knows???

After quite a few minutes this time, I did get into CM.   And MANY minutes after that I have now finally got into Hue, using 8888 instead of the 8088 I found on various google sites.

In fact the whole VM has become very slow and sludgy today.   

In any case, I am into Hue at last

Hope this is the end ....  or rather the beginning

When you couldn't connect to CM server, it may have still been booting up. It sounds like your machine is extremely slow, so this could take some time.

Installing all services requires a very large amount of RAM. If you don't have at least 10GB RAM (preferably more), then I recommend only the services you really want to try out.

You can also just stop the services you aren't currently using.

Thanks,
Darren

Explorer

Darren - That's the issue.  My machine is not particularly slow - but it's an ordinary home PC - Intel i5 3GHz with 8gb of RAM.  I have assigned the VM to have 6gb, which I see now is pretty small.  Poor thing.

And you are an employee.  Could I ask a question?  the reason I am exploring CM is that I applied for the job as QA in Nashua.  I have been working QA for SAP for their SAP Control Center product, which has remarkable parallels to what I have seen in CM.  SCC is also a server with an agent and running a number of services, and both have UI’s for monitoring, configuring, and alerts, with role based access control.  And both are very very interesting, at least to me - I like that kind of stuff

What I would like to know is - what part of Cloudera does the Nashua office work on?  The UI?  The server side?