Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ubuntu 16.04 - Ambari 2.5.1 - Can't login to ambari with admin/ admin after install

ambari-server.zipHi,

I am installing Ambari 2.5.1 on a PC with Ubuntu 16.04 (not virtualbox/ vagrant). Once installed however, I can't login to ambari server using admin/admin. The signin page displays this error:

Unable to connect to Ambari Server. Confirm Ambari Server is running and you can reach Ambari Server from this machine.

I've verified that postgresql and ambari-server are running fine.

My ambari server log is attached herewith.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Radha.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Radha Krishna Srimanthula

From your ambari server log we see that some time back you got postgresql related errors, Bit on the recent logs those errors are gone.

Can you please check the following:

1. From the machine where you are trying to login to ambari UI are you able to access the ambari port 8080 as following? If not then check if the "iptables" (firewall) is disabled on ambari server to allow port 8080 access.

# telnet  $AMBARI_HOSTNAME  $AMBARI_UI_PORT
# telnet  ambari.example.com  8080

#### Try accessing ambari using API call to see if it works (to validate access)
# curl -iv -u admin:admin -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X GET  http://$AMBARI_HOSTNAME:8080/api/v1/clusters

2. Have you recently changed ambari password? Or is it using some LDAP credentials?

3. Please try to reset ambari admin password to password as "admin" for the username "admin" by running the following query in the Ambari Database:
# psql -U ambari ambari
Password for user ambari:  bigdata
psql (9.2.18)
Type "help" for help.

ambari=>  update ambari.users set user_password='538916f8943ec225d97a9a86a2c6ec0818c1cd400e09e03b660fdaaec4af29ddbb6f2b1033b81b00' where user_name='admin';

Then restart ambari server and then try to login as username : "admin" and password : "admin"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor

From your ambari server log we see that some time back you got postgresql related errors, Bit on the recent logs those errors are gone.

Can you please check the following:

1. From the machine where you are trying to login to ambari UI are you able to access the ambari port 8080 as following? If not then check if the "iptables" (firewall) is disabled on ambari server to allow port 8080 access.

# telnet  $AMBARI_HOSTNAME  $AMBARI_UI_PORT
# telnet  ambari.example.com  8080

#### Try accessing ambari using API call to see if it works (to validate access)
# curl -iv -u admin:admin -H "X-Requested-By: ambari" -X GET  http://$AMBARI_HOSTNAME:8080/api/v1/clusters

2. Have you recently changed ambari password? Or is it using some LDAP credentials?

3. Please try to reset ambari admin password to password as "admin" for the username "admin" by running the following query in the Ambari Database:
# psql -U ambari ambari
Password for user ambari:  bigdata
psql (9.2.18)
Type "help" for help.

ambari=>  update ambari.users set user_password='538916f8943ec225d97a9a86a2c6ec0818c1cd400e09e03b660fdaaec4af29ddbb6f2b1033b81b00' where user_name='admin';

Then restart ambari server and then try to login as username : "admin" and password : "admin"

Master Mentor

If your current issue is resolved then please mark this threads as "Accepted" (Answered) that way it will be useful for other users as well to quickly browse the solution.

@Jay SenSharma

Seeing this weird behavior:

Once I reset the admin password, I am able to login and setup a cluster using the ambari frontend, from a Linux machine. From my windows machines, however, I still see the same error as I reported.

I've tried clearing up history, tried different browsers - but am not able to login.

Any idea what could the reason be?

@Jay SenSharma

Resetting ambari admin password worked - thanks a ton!

This got me going!