Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Unable to Access kerberized cluster from my mac machine. Getting 401 Authentication error in curl

Highlighted

Unable to Access kerberized cluster from my mac machine. Getting 401 Authentication error in curl

Cloudera Employee

kerberose.pngI am trying to access the cluster that i created in AWS from my mac. I am getting the below error when i do curl.This is a secured Kerberized cluster(MIT KDC)

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Unable to Access kerberized cluster from my mac machine. Getting 401 Authentication error in curl

Did you obtain a ticket first, and is krb5.conf configured to use the same KDC on your laptop and the cluster? Any errors in the namenode log?

Highlighted

Re: Unable to Access kerberized cluster from my mac machine. Getting 401 Authentication error in curl

Cloudera Employee

1. Copied the krb5.conf from cluster to /etc on mac.

2. Created a keytab file and ftpied the file to mac.

3 Provided 664 permission to the keytab file

4. Ticket is granted to me when i do kinit from mac. Klist does show valid ticket being granted.

5. I run into 401 error when i do curl after doing kinit . When i drill down into the error i see the error code gss_init_sec_context() failed: unknown mech-code 0 for mech unknown

6. I don't see any error being logged in namenode. Looks like the curl command from mac is not hitting the cluster .

7. tcsdump on namenode port(50070) doesn't shows any call being made from mac.

Note : - I am on HDP2.3 and have namenode HA. I am able to do curl from one of the node within the cluster using the same keytab file and curl command.

Can you confirm network connectivity from Mac to namenode by some other means, like hdfs client (not webhdfs) or ping/ssh? Do you see the same behavior from both NNs?

Highlighted

Cloudera Employee

@Alex Miller I am able to ssh to namenode. I use the below command to ssh to namenode.

ssh -i sumit.pem ec2-use@public-hostname-dns.

Highlighted

Explorer

Can you confirm that you have a valid tgt ? Klist should show that.

Highlighted

Cloudera Employee

Yes @Saurabh Jain klist shows a valid ticket.

Highlighted

Cloudera Employee

@Alex Miller

1. Copied the krb5.conf from cluster to /etc on mac.

2. Created a keytab file and ftpied the file to mac.

3 Provided 664 permission to the keytab file

4. Ticket is granted to me when i do kinit from mac. Klist does show valid ticket being granted.

5. I run into 401 error when i do curl after doing kinit . When i drill down into the error i see the error code gss_init_sec_context() failed: unknown mech-code 0 for mech unknown

6. I don't see any error being logged in namenode. Looks like the curl command from mac is not hitting the cluster .

7. tcsdump on namenode port(50070) doesn't shows any call being made from mac.

Note : - I am on HDP2.3 and have namenode HA. I am able to do curl from one of the node within the cluster using the same keytab file and curl command.

Highlighted

Explorer

what is the exact curl command you are running?

Highlighted

Cloudera Employee

I am using the below curl command.

curl -iv -u: --negotiate http://ec2-52-33-77-118.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:50070/webhdfs/v1/?op=LISTSTATUS

this command works when i login to any node in the cluster and try to curl . Where as when i do the same from mac i get 401 error code --> gss_init_sec_context() failed: unknown mech-code 0 for mech unknown.

Do we need to do anything else apart from copying the krb5.conf to /etc and kinit to get the ticket?

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here