Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to connect Excel 2016 for MAC to Hive

New Contributor

Now the hive ODBC driver can be installed in OS X 10.11, however, Excel 2016 for MAC still can not connect. My DSN was tested successfully with iodbctest, however, Excel failed to connect with error message "IM003 [iODBC][Driver Manager]Specified driver could not be loaded" and "00000 [iODBC][Driver Manager]dlopen(/opt/hortonworks/hiveodbc/lib/universal/libhortonworkshiveodbc.dylib, 6): no suitable image found. Did find /opt/hortonworks/hiveodbc/lib/universal/libhortonworkshiveodbc.dylib: open() failed with errno=1"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

I ran into this same problem with Excel 2016 on El Capitan. Jiaxing Liang is right in that OS X's sandboxing is blocking access to libhortonworkshiveodbc.dylib. You can verify the same by launching /Applications/Utilities/Console and filtering on 'sandboxd'. The Activity Monitor can also display if sandboxing is enabled. View -> Columns -> Sandbox.

As a work around I copied the Hortonworks Hive ODBC driver from the default install location of /opt/hortonworks to /Library/ODBC/hortonworks. I then updated the odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini files to reference the new driver location.

# Driver: The location where the ODBC driver is installed to. Driver=/Library/ODBC/hortonworks/hiveodbc/lib/universal/libhortonworkshiveodbc.dylib

The ErrorMessagesPath in the hortonworks.hiveodbc.ini files was being blocked too so that needed updating as well.

ErrorMessagesPath=/Library/ODBC/hortonworks/hiveodbc/ErrorMessages/

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Rising Star

I can confirm that the work around does enable applications/tools like Excel and Tableau to function normally.

Rising Star

Hive ODBC Driver 2.1.7 (located in Hortonworks Public Repo http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP/hive-odbc/2.1.7.1010) should have fixed this issue as per the release notes:

New installation location for macOS

On macOS, the driver now installs to /Library/hortonworks/hive. Previously, the driver installed to /opt/hortonworks/hive.

@Darwin

New Contributor

Note that you're linking to the file for windows. URL for OS X: http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP/hive-odbc/2.1.7.1010/Mac_OS_X/hive-odbc-native.dmg