Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Unable to exchange hive partition using spark sql even after using enableHiveSupport()

Unable to exchange hive partition using spark sql even after using enableHiveSupport()

Contributor

I am trying to push incremental data into a base hive table. To do that, I prepared the data in my staging database and stored it in a table with exact ddl of my base table. In order to move the data from staging to base, I am trying the "Exchange partition" on the hive table from spark.sql as below.

Alter table base.basetable drop partition (vehicle='BIKE');
ALTER TABLE base.basetable EXCHANGE PARTITION (vehicle='BIKE') WITH TABLE staging.stagingtable;

But I see the exception:

org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.parser.ParseException:
Operation not allowed: ALTER TABLE EXCHANGE PARTITION(line 1, pos 0)
== SQL ==
ALTER TABLE base.basetable (vehicle='BIKE') WITH TABLE staging.stagingtable
^^^

This looks like spark sql doesn't support "Exchange partition" even though I have set enableHiveSupport() in my program:

val spark  = SparkSession.builder().config(conf).master("yarn").enableHiveSupport().config("hive.exec.dynamic.partition", "true").config("hive.exec.dynamic.partition.mode", "nonstrict").getOrCreate(

Shouldn't enableHiveSupport() give me all support & access for Hive querying ?

I can do

insert overwrite base.basetable partition(vehicle) select * from staging.stagingtable where vehicle='BIKE'

Some of our tables have huge data and if the feature "Exchange partition" doesn't work in spark sql, is there any alternative to it ?