Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Unable to execute complex query in Zeppelin with Hive

Highlighted

Unable to execute complex query in Zeppelin with Hive

New Contributor

I was able to execute the following simple Hive query in Zeppelin

"select log_date, count(*) from shop.item where log_date = 20190917 group by log_date". However, when I was trying to execute "select log_date, count(*) from shop.item where log_date > 20190917 group by log_date", I received the error below. I think it has something to do with Tez. I executed the same query with beeline and it was working fine. However, Tez was used to execute the second complex query. The JDBC driver is set as "jdbc:hive2://xxxx?hive.execution.engine=tez;tez.queue.name=unfunded".

"java.sql.SQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.tez.TezTask at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveStatement.execute(HiveStatement.java:282) at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:291) at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:291) at org.apache.zeppelin.jdbc.JDBCInterpreter.executeSql(JDBCInterpreter.java:736) at org.apache.zeppelin.jdbc.JDBCInterpreter.interpret(JDBCInterpreter.java:819) at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.interpret(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:103) at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:632) at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:188) at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.ParallelScheduler$JobRunner.run(ParallelScheduler.java:162) at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180) at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)"

1 REPLY 1

Re: Unable to execute complex query in Zeppelin with Hive

Expert Contributor

Can you look into the tez container log for any deeper errors?

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here