Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Unable to figure out whether ambari server is running in HDP VM on Azure

Unable to figure out whether ambari server is running in HDP VM on Azure

New Contributor

Dear All - I have setup a HDP 2.5.0 VM on azure which is up and running.

When I am accessing it from my web browser, I am able to get the welcome screen. When I am launching the Dashboard, I am getting the ambari login page. I am using id/pswd as 'admin' and trying to connect the ambari. I am getting error - ambari "Unable to connect to Ambari Server. Confirm Ambari Server is running and you can reach Ambari Server from this machine".

Now when I am checking the logs, I donot see any folder named ambari server. Also grep 8080 does not give me any IP port listening corresponding to ambari.

I think the VM does not have ambari service running....pls help me how to figure out where the real issue is and how to fix it.

Thanks,

Prasad

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Unable to figure out whether ambari server is running in HDP VM on Azure

Super Mentor

@Bani Prasad Mishra

- If you are not able to see any port 8080 opened then chances are very high that your ambari-server is not running. (I am sure you have not changed ambari's default listen port 8080).

- The easiest way to check if ambari server is running or not is by running the following command:

# ambari-server status

- Many times the Browser caches the WebPage so even if the ambari is down (not reachable) the page is shows in the browser (because of cached content) and when you enter credential you are not able to proceed further because authentication is not happening. Hence you see failed login.

- You can simply verify the same by opening the Ambari Server UI on a browser with cleared cache mode OR.

"File --> New Private Window" (firefox)

"File --> New Incognito Window" (Chrome)

Re: Unable to figure out whether ambari server is running in HDP VM on Azure

Super Guru
@Bani Prasad Mishra

how did you install your HDP? Did you install Ambari or did you do a manual install (installing each component separately - for example: yum install zookeeper-server and then yum install hadoop hadoop-hdfs hadoop-libhdfs hadoop-yarn hadoop-mapreduce hadoop-client openssl and so on)?

Now, since you are able to see Ambari login page, I am assuming you installed using Ambari. In that case on your machine where Ambari should be running, run the following:

service ambari-server status

If it says service not found then please share a screen shot of your ambari login page along with the url. If it is not running then simple run the following:

service ambari-server start

also during the Ambari install, did you do the following? If not, that might be your issue.

ambari-server setup