Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to find/start the Sandbox Tools

Rising Star

Installed Hortonworks with HDP 2.4 into Virtualbox with host OS of Windows 7. All installed fine. The VM starts up with no errors. When I go to http://127.0.0.1 I get the Sandbox splash screen, but no place to start the tutorials. I saw on the Hortonworks videos a "Start Tutorials" button that takes you to a web page where the frame on the left is the tutorial and the frame on the right is the Sandbox tools. If I go to http://127.0.0.1/frames.html I get the page with the tutorial on the left, but the right side is blank where the Sandbox tools are supposed to be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

OK. The key was I was expecting to see the HUE screen, but that does not exists. Yes I can get to Ambari, so I would assume all is up and running as expected.

Hadoop in general can be an overwhelming ecosystem to start in. I will just run through all the tutorials and start reading books.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

@Michael Rife can you please provide the link to the Sandbox youtube videos? The right hand side above is HUE, which is installed but not enabled with the HDP 2.4 sandbox. If you are looking for Pig, Hive, HDFS UI/tools, ... please explore the Ambari views. You can learn the basics of these Ambari Views in the Hello HDP tutorial.

@Michael Rife Can you please try going to localhost:8080 does it bring up Ambari?

Rising Star

OK. The key was I was expecting to see the HUE screen, but that does not exists. Yes I can get to Ambari, so I would assume all is up and running as expected.

Hadoop in general can be an overwhelming ecosystem to start in. I will just run through all the tutorials and start reading books.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

@Michael Rife @hganapathy

> Hadoop in general can be an overwhelming ecosystem to start in. I will just run through all the tutorials and start reading books.

Completely understand. My I suggests the following path through a few key tutorials:

1) Learning the Ropes

Get familiar with the sandbox

2) Hello HDP

Get familiar with HDP and key apache technologies (hadoop, hdfs, hive, spark, pig, zeppelin)

3) Sentiment Analysis tutorial

Learn about HDF and go through a use case using twitter data and get introduced to (NiFi, HBase, Hive, Solr)

4) IoT tutorial

This will introduce you to streaming with Storm, Kafka and more Hive & Hbase.

These four tutorials should give you a good high level intro to many of they key technologies. After that you can do further deep dive into specific tutorials to learn more.

Explorer

Hi @Michael Rife I am facing the same issue that Hue page never loads, were you able to resolve it, if yes please guide. thanks

Rising Star

Hue is not included with the current version of the sandbox. All activities are done either through Ambari or from the OS prompt. If you want to use Hue, you would have to "side load" it onto your sandbox. I am sure there are instructions as to how to do that out on the Internet. I did not do that. We want to stay "stock" Hortonworks.