Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to log storm audit events to hdfs (sandbox kerberized)

Explorer

Hi All,

Product: Hortonworks Data Platform 2.6.3 Sandbox

I am having trouble logging storm events to hdfs when I enable ranger auditing for storm. I enabled kerberos with ambari, since it is noted in document that kerberos is required to install ranger storm-plugin. I kerberized the cluster, enabled storm plugin, and installed a storm policy like the one in attachment. Then I started and killed the storm topology with these commands:

- storm jar storm-starter-0.0.1-storm-0.9.0.1.jar storm.starter.WordCountTopology WordCount -c storm.starter.WordCountTopology WordCount

- storm kill WordCount

However, I don't see the log files in hdfs /ranger/audit/storm. (I can't view it directly from ranger UI because of an solr error, but that's another issue). In nimbus.log, I see this error:

2018-03-08 18:01:01.037 o.a.r.a.p.BaseAuditHandler [ERROR] Error writing to log file.
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: User: nimbus/sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com@HORTONWORKS.COM is not allowed to impersonate storm

at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.getRpcResponse(Client.java:1554) ~[hadoop-common-2.7.3.2.6.3.0-235.jar:?]
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1498) ~[hadoop-common-2.7.3.2.6.3.0-235.jar:?]
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:1398) ~[hadoop-common-2.7.3.2.6.3.0-235.jar:?]
at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngine$Invoker.invoke(ProtobufRpcEngine.java:233) ~[hadoop-common-2.7.3.2.6.3.0-235.jar:?]
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy54.getFileInfo(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.protocolPB.ClientNamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.getFileInfo(ClientNamenodeProtocolTranslatorPB.java:823) ~[?:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_151]
at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invokeMethod(RetryInvocationHandler.java:291) ~[hadoop-common-2.7.3.2.6.3.0-235.jar:?]
at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invoke(RetryInvocationHandler.java:203) ~[hadoop-common-2.7.3.2.6.3.0-235.jar:?]
at org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invoke(RetryInvocationHandler.java:185) ~[hadoop-common-2.7.3.2.6.3.0-235.jar:?]

I thought it was mapping issue between kerberos principal and linux user, so I added

"RULE:[2:$1@$0](nimbus@HORTONWORKS.COM)s/.*/storm/" to hadoop.security.auth_to_local and

<property>
<name>hadoop.proxyuser.storm.group</name>
<value>*</value>
</property>

<property>
<name>hadoop.proxyuser.storm.hosts</name>
<value>sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com</value>
</property>

to core-site.xml. But nothing is logged.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looks like is nimbus/sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com@HORTONWORKS.COM not getting translated into storm. You need to investigate why. Can you check your jaas config and auth to local rules again? Also the core-site.xml property should be hadoop.proxyuser.<component>.groups. Check for the typo, seems like "s" is missing in your config.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Please see this doc - https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.6.4/bk_security/content/manually_updating_ambar... - which mentions the below....

For Storm, link to /etc/hadoop/conf/core-site.xml under /usr/hdp/<version>/storm/extlib-daemon/ranger-storm-plugin-impl/conf

Explorer

@vperiasamy Thank you very much for your response.

I already see a core-site.xml file in that directory.

I moved it out and linked /etc/hadoop/conf/core-site.xml as described in the doc.

Restarted hdfs, ranger, and storm, but I still see the same error.

Is there any else I could've missed?

Looks like is nimbus/sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com@HORTONWORKS.COM not getting translated into storm. You need to investigate why. Can you check your jaas config and auth to local rules again? Also the core-site.xml property should be hadoop.proxyuser.<component>.groups. Check for the typo, seems like "s" is missing in your config.

Explorer

Turns out the typo was the problem.

That's just so silly....

@vperiasamy thank you so much.