Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to restart Hortonworks Sandbox Azure VM after stopping

New Contributor

I spun up the Hortonworks Sandbox Azure VM with HDP 2.5. I stopped the VM when I was done using it, so I don't pay for it. I started the VM again from the Azure portal, but when I attempt to SSH into it I get the following error message:

System is booting up. See pam_nologin(8)
Connection to 13.94.136.150 closed by remote host.
Connection to 13.94.136.150 closed.

I was able to reproduce this, so I don't think I'm the only one affected by this. How do I go about resolving this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Neelabh Kashyap

Currently, Azure takes a while to fully boot the VM. Like you, I'm able to SSH in but get the message about the system still booting and get the SSH connection closed. Waiting a few minutes and reconnecting once the system is up and running (which is still even after the Azure portal shows "Running") should work fine, though.

Have you experienced this message even after giving the VM some more time to boot up?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Neelabh Kashyap

Currently, Azure takes a while to fully boot the VM. Like you, I'm able to SSH in but get the message about the system still booting and get the SSH connection closed. Waiting a few minutes and reconnecting once the system is up and running (which is still even after the Azure portal shows "Running") should work fine, though.

Have you experienced this message even after giving the VM some more time to boot up?

New Contributor

@Edgar Orendain

Waiting for 15 minutes did the trick. Thanks!