Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Unable to restrict column through Ranger ( HDP2.5 sandbox)

Highlighted

Unable to restrict column through Ranger ( HDP2.5 sandbox)

Rising Star

When I gave a restriction to a column through Ranger , am able to access that through Hive command line and also in beeline command line. So does Ranger restrticts data only in Amabari view ?

Please suggest me if any more restriction is required.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Unable to restrict column through Ranger ( HDP2.5 sandbox)

Can you please provide the screen shot for your resource based policy views and also the particular policy details which restricts the column access.

Highlighted

Rising Star
Highlighted

@Dinesh Das 1. You can specify the multiple columns in the same policy no need create multiple policies. 2. Please check if you have enabled "all - database, table, column" policy that will enable access to all.

11147-screen-shot-2017-01-05-at-105434-am.gif

If its enabled disabled it and try again.

Highlighted

Rising Star

@milind pandit Not working , now I disabled all policy and enable only 1 but still can access the data through beeline cli.

emttvd02vdsientverizoncomupmhomev994292desktop7.png

Highlighted

@Dinesh Das Please make sure in ranger audit->plugin log the policy is disabled as sometime it takes few sec for policy to kick in.

Explorer

In Ranger, Policy Definition seems to be correct. After execution, can you please see the Ranger Audit to see if the audit entry for the access tells the policy-id that provided access for the column ?

Highlighted

Rising Star

the restriction working well in Ambari>>Hive view but beeline CLI I can able to do select on all columns.

Highlighted

Highlighted

Contributor

@Dinesh Das From the screenshot, it looks like you have given Select permissions for the specific column.

Don't have an account?