Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to start HDP 2.6 Sandbox

Explorer

hdp-26-sandbox-boot-status.pngHello, I've downloaded the 2.6 sandbox, and cannot get it to load. I'm running CentOS Linux 7 on a VirtualBox VM with 8 Gb RAM. I've attached a screenshot of the current state. It has been attempting to start up for nearly an hour now. Any ideas what might be wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Jay Goebel

Please check if the md5sum of the sandbox is correct.

Also do re-importing the sandbox to VirtualBox helps?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Master Mentor

@Jay Goebel

Please check if the md5sum of the sandbox is correct.

Also do re-importing the sandbox to VirtualBox helps?

Explorer

Thanks, how do I check if the md5sum is correct?

Master Mentor

@Jay Goebel

Sorry i missed to see your response.

The Md5Sum results are listed in the Hortonworks WebSite for different installers: https://hortonworks.com/downloads/#sandbox

- As the Sandbox size is large so sometimes while downloading it it might get corrupted. So checking the checksum before importing it to VirtualBox is always a good idea. Following is the way how we can check it.

On MAC

$ md5 HDP_2.6_virtualbox_19_04_2017_20_02_55_hdp_ambari_2_5_0_5_1.ov

On Linux

$ md5sum HDP_2.6_virtualbox_19_04_2017_20_02_55_hdp_ambari_2_5_0_5_1.ov

But as recommended earlier it will be best to try reimporting the sandbox to VirtualBox again can be a quick test.

Rising Star

Have you changed any settings while import sandbox ?

Please re-import the HDP sandbox 2.6 with default settings...

Rising Star

also make sure downloaded file size (HDP 2.5 have 10.9 GB - 11,497,029 KB)...same to be verify for HDP 2.6 as well...

HDP 2.5 ==> MD5 : 70708bc9cd6990cdda5dae7700a88640 (this value get if you for md5sum for the file).

Example :

md5sum <file name - CentOS-5.5-i386-LiveCD-Release2.iso>

and it will produce something like this: 1b5d7e5ff8f1d90c600a973a8e000877 CentOS-5.5-i386-LiveCD-Release2.iso

md5sum -c <file name>

If all is correct, it will produce the message

<file name> : ok

Explorer

Thanks Jay & Palanivelrajan! I re-imported the sandbox, and everything worked fine. Thanks!

New Contributor

I too am having this problem. I suspect that the default 8GB RAM allocation for the VM is insufficient.
I've tried removing and re-importing several times and it always get's stuck in the booting of CentOS (even when I waited for over 30 minutes for it to boot). If I try to ssh to the VM while it is in that "stuck booting state" via putty (localhost port 2222) I get the login prompt and can login, but my session gets killed when asked to change the password for the first time.

I've tried up-ing the VM memory to 16GB (because I have 64GB RAM) and the VM starts just fine.
However, there must be other constraints within the VM because even simply Hive queries such as "select count(*) from a_table_with_just_40_rows_in_it;" fail with out of memory exceptions. This occurs whether I run from the Hive Shell or Hive2 via Ambari.

I'm finding that the memory limitations prevent me from doing anything useful - including the first tutorial. For example, the first tutorial's query that aggregates "driver times" also fails with OutOfMemory errors. (this query: SELECT driverId, sum(hours_logged), sum(miles_logged) FROM timesheet GROUP BY driverId;)

My system is Windows 10 - core i7 - 64 GB RAM - 5.4TB SSD (Raid 5).

How can I re-configure to be able to complete the tutorials?

I also have this issue.

I suspect the default memory of 8GB for the VM is too small. I tried re-importing the VMWare OVA multiple times, but it always gets stuck in the boot process. If I try logging in using putty (localhost:2222) my session drops when prompted to change my password.

If I start the VM with a larger memory size (I up'd it to 16GB because I have 64GB of RAM) it starts fine. However, simple things like this hive query "select count(*) from some_table_with_just_40_records_in_it" fail with OutOfMemoryExceptions (when run from Hive or Ambari-Hive2).
I'm struggling with how to run this sandbox and do anything useful in it with the memory constraints.

New Contributor

I have 8 GB Physical RAM, and have allocated 4GB RAM to the SandBox. It's not booting up.

Is this much RAM enough for the sandbox?

If yes, please help me find out what to look for in order to troubleshoot.

Thanks