Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Unable to take backup for hbase

Highlighted

Unable to take backup for hbase

I am unable to take backup for Hbase. I am trying below command inside bin directory of hbase

./hbase backup create full hdfs://192.168.0.1:9000/hbase_1 -w 3

But i get "Error: Could not find or load main class backup" as error. Do I need to add any extra jar file for backup? I am using hbase 1.2.6.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Unable to take backup for hbase

The HBase backup and restore feature does not exist in any HBase 1.x release.

This feature was backported into HDP-2.5 and 2.6.

Highlighted

@Aditya Srivastava

Are you using Hortonworks Distribution/HDP Sandbox? If not you will not find the "backup" functionality in HBase 1.x lineup. Hortonworks has backported this functionality in its HDP and hence made it available with the "newer" versions[read 1.x] of HBase. Apache distribution of HBase had it in the previous releases but don't have it in the new release.

If you need backup functionality, I would recommend using Hortonworks Distribution of Hadoop [HDP] versions 2.5+.

Thanks!

Highlighted

@Aditya Srivastava

Did the answer help in the resolution of your query? Please close the thread by marking the answer as Accepted!

@Rahul Thanks for the response. I am using hbase as standalone and not the HDP Sandbox. Would really appreciate if you could help me with some alternative for HBase backup when used in standalone.

Highlighted

You may look the options available on HBase Documentation for backup.

Here is another link for some more details.

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

Hi @Aditya Srivastava,

You can use hbase snapshot feature to take backup of table.

http://hbase.apache.org/0.94/book/ops.snapshots.html

Highlighted

Hi @schhabra

As mentioned in above link provided by you, "HBase Snapshots allow you to take a snapshot of a table" whereas I want to take snapshot or backup of complete cluster.

Highlighted

Expert Contributor

As mentioned by Josh, backup/restore feature is not available in HBase 1.x release. The best option you have is SNAPSHOT in current version. You can create script to take snapshot of all tables.

Highlighted

You can use "snapshot_all" command to take snapshot of all tables at a time.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here