Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Update statement takes too long

Update statement takes too long

New Contributor

Hello folks, I have to perform Update statement on hive table which has only 1 row. However it takes 17 seconds to perform the job. I was wondering what causes this long execution process. I noticed that the run DAG operation took 11.72 seconds to finish. Is this a normal execution time? I am using Hive 3.1.0.3.1.0.0-78. Thank you in advance!

109032-run-dag.png

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Update statement takes too long

New Contributor

Also the table is managed, ORC with TBLPROPERTIES ('transactional'='true');

New Contributor

attaching the screenshot

109041-run-dag.png

Community Manager

The above was originally posted in the Community Help Track. On Tue May 28 23:19 UTC 2019, a member of the HCC moderation staff moved it to the Data Processing track. The Community Help Track is intended for questions about using the HCC site itself.

Bill Brooks, Community Manager
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Super Guru

@Georgi Kovachev

For the first time when we are running Update statement..etc TEZ will initialize the session if the session is already running and the Execution time seems to be Okay.

If you run another Update statement then the time should be less than 11 sec i believe, also the execution time depends on how many records exists in the table(if we have millions records without partition then update statement will perform full table scan and eventually execution time will be higher).

Also it would be good to check do u have any resource constrain in the cluster.

In case if you are updating bulk records then refer to merge strategy.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here