** Upgrade HDP : As I learned (too late), this step should have been done after initial HDF-Upgrade steps. (Because I had done the HDP upgrade 3.0.1 -> 3.1.0 as a separate Upgrade, leaving HDF services untouched. Big mistake ?!)
*** In step 1.Select the HDP 3.0.x version to which you want to upgrade, and update the base URLs for HDP, HDF, and HDP UTILs. :
4. Question: What if you forget to provide (updated) HDF base URLs in this step? (Any chance to fix this later? I managed to updated/add a new HDF-3.3.1 repo URL later to the existing HDP-126.96.36.199 stack, but from there Ambari did not offer any way to install/upgrade new HDF packages)
I tried to ask simple, atomic questions, to understand what are my options in the situation I got into:
In fact I did not follow the exact above order of steps (because initially I only read the HDP Upgrade Doc), so my plan was:
* 1.phase (DONE) HDP-3.0.1 (+HDF 3.2.0 services) was upgraded to HDP-3.1.0 (HDF services untouched)
* 2.phase (topic here) HDF Upgrade from 3.2.0 to 3.3.1 on the same cluster
(TODO describe detailed steps I tried. In short I followed the Doc, and did not follow Upgrading an HDF Cluster (see above) , but later no surprise that Upgrade HDF services failed, because no yum repo, or new HDF rpms installed)
New questions arising from that situation:
* 5. Question: What is the upgrade path from HDP 3.2 to HDF 3.3 (3.3.1) on an HDP 3.1 Cluster (that already had HDF 3.2 services installed, and was upgraded from HDP 3.0.1 to HDP 3.1.0) ?
* 6. Question:If my 2-phase upgrade path is not officially supported, is there still a way to get only the HDF 3.2.0 services upgraded?
** 6b. Question: Maybe manually installing the updated HDF repos and the updated rpms (on centos7 with yum install) ? Would this be promising way out? Major concerns?
** 6c. Question: Would first de-installing all HDF services help? (and then again ensure HDF repo updated to 3.3.1, and then follow the documentation 'Install HDF services on existing HDP 3.x cluster')
Thanks in advance!
Any hints welcome (no need to know answers to all questions) :+1: