Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Upgrade Pig from 0.15.0 to 0.16.0

Contributor

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade pig 0.15.0 to 0.16.0. We are using Hortonworks( Ambari version is 2.2). We don't have any option to upgrade the service from ambari.

Can you please help me the steps to upgrade the pig service manually.

Thanks,

Narasimha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

The procedure Geoffrey provided would work if we published HDP 2.5 bits, that's the only place we provide Pig 0.16 libraries. this should be available end of August, until then you only have an option to install Pig from Apache. here's instructions for Pig 0.13 but mostly apply, you will also need to configure Tez. http://hadooptutorial.info/pig-installation-on-ubuntu/

Keep in mind this is not supported by HWX and you are on your own. So in essence it is doable but not advisable unless you know the consequences. Ambari will not manage this approach, best advice is to wait for HDP 2.5 with Ambari 2.4.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Master Mentor

@Narasimha Gunturu

Check this procedure for HDP with Ambari

Tell me if that works for you

Contributor

Hi Geoffrey,

No. it didn't worked. i have done the same steps which were there in below link, but where we can pass the latest pig version for upgrade.

procedure for HDP with Ambari

can you please let me know where we can pass the latest pig version.

Thanks,

Narasimha

Master Mentor

The procedure Geoffrey provided would work if we published HDP 2.5 bits, that's the only place we provide Pig 0.16 libraries. this should be available end of August, until then you only have an option to install Pig from Apache. here's instructions for Pig 0.13 but mostly apply, you will also need to configure Tez. http://hadooptutorial.info/pig-installation-on-ubuntu/

Keep in mind this is not supported by HWX and you are on your own. So in essence it is doable but not advisable unless you know the consequences. Ambari will not manage this approach, best advice is to wait for HDP 2.5 with Ambari 2.4.

Contributor

Hi Artem,

we have installed the pig service through ambari. whatever you have provided in link those options are not available in my server. Is there any other way to upgrade individual component manually.

thanks,

Narasimha

Master Mentor

That's what I'm saying, until we release HDP 2.5 you can only install Apache Pig, not the Pig we provide through Ambari

Contributor

Hi Artem,

Can we upgrade any other services like hive, hbase etc., in ambari (without using Apache)????

Thanks,

Narasimha

Master Mentor

No, you have to wait for next release.