Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Upgrading CDH 5.6 to use Hive 1.2.0

Upgrading CDH 5.6 to use Hive 1.2.0

New Contributor

Hi all,

I am currently trying out the latest CDH 5.6 build. This build comes with hive 1.1.0. When I tried to create a table in hive using parquet format, the error message showed that hive 1.1 does not support date format in parquet yet. it was added in 1.2.0. I can use timestamp but when I expose the table to tableau through impala using cloudera impala odbc driver, the driver is trying to convert timestamp to date in the BI queries and failing. timestamp to date is an invalid cast in impala. (for another discussion though, i think, is that those queries actually do not have to be type casted to date to get the desired results but the driver tries it).  This issue restricts any continuous analysis on date columns in tablueau. So, I decided to use date column in the underlying hive table and stuck with this question of upgrading. Can I upgrade from hive 1.1.0 to 1.2.0 in CDH 5.6? Have anyone done this ? Can you give some pointers on how to do this? I Is there any known issue that I need to be aware of. I was doing a lot of search to gather information. Havent got much yet. I was going to make a build form source and replace all the hive jars under the cloudera/parcels/hive with the new ones.Just wanted to see if anyone knows more before I start with the upgrade and get stuck with a roadblock. Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Upgrading CDH 5.6 to use Hive 1.2.0

New Contributor

Did you ever get that working?  I know a bunch of people must be trying this, and I'm about to be one of them.  If you ran into any problems, I'd love to get any info on the process you used.

Highlighted

Re: Upgrading CDH 5.6 to use Hive 1.2.0

New Contributor

The problem was fixed on 18 May 2015.

I understand the Cloudera would be production oriented, but is a mess with this issue when use both as ETL on parquet.

On February 2016 the hive 2.0.0 was released, maybe is time to upgrade on Cloudera.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here