Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Upgrading JDK 1.7 to 1.8 in HDP 2.2

Highlighted

Upgrading JDK 1.7 to 1.8 in HDP 2.2

Hello Experts,

Here we upgrading Java 1.7 to 1.8 for the one of the production Node. so on the current node we running kafka and storm services, could you please suggest me how to upgrade and also suggest me with

• Pre-implementation
  • Post Implementation
  • Back-out plan

Please suggest me how to Upgrade without impacting other servers node and without a downtime

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Upgrading JDK 1.7 to 1.8 in HDP 2.2

Super Mentor

If you want to upgrade the JDK for the whole cluster nodes then doing it via ambari is better and recommended. As mentioned in the link: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.4.2.0/bk_ambari-reference/content/ch_changing_the...

However as you mentioned that you want to upgrade the "java" only on one node of your cluster then in that case you might want to set the JAVA_HOME on the user specific profile level on your OS or else you might try using the

Example:

# alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/jdk64/jdk1.8.0_60/bin/java 1000
# alternatives --config java

Jay thanks fro the response. but i have service running on this node strom and kafka !! how to overcome this process

Highlighted

Super Mentor

@Sandeep R

In running mode the JVM of the process can not be changed. Kafka & Storm will be running on old java version so you will need a maintenance windows to change the JDK.

Highlighted

JDK-1.8 is not supported by HDP-2.2. So, the recommended method is first to upgrade your HDP-2.2 cluster to HDP-2.3 or 2.4, and after making sure the upgrade was successful, to upgrade Java to 1.8. Regarding the preparation, whenever you do such a serious procedure on the cluster it's required to backup your cluster supporting databases (Ambari, Hive, Oozie, and Ranger if it's included), and to backup Namenode metadata. You can also upgrade Ambari at the same time. So, to summarize:

• Upgrade Ambari
  • Upgrade HDP to 2.3 or 2.4
  • Upgrade Java to 1.8
Highlighted

Super Mentor

@Predrag Minovic

thank you for correcting my bad i did not pay much attention on the HDP version. "JDK-1.8 is not supported by HDP-2.2.".

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here