Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Upgrading from Pivotal HD to Pivotal/Hortonworks HDP

New Contributor

I'm unable to find any documentation on upgrading from Pivotal HD to Pivotal/Hortonworks HDP. Can I follow the usual upgrade process using Ambari?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

You can upgrade to any version, including Pivotal, by taking the so-called "data migration" approach: setup your new cluster, and transfer data from the old one to the new one. You can copy data directly from one cluster to another using distcp for HDFS files and CopyTable for HBase tables. You can copy Hive tables using export/import of tables. Obviously it's not practical for a large amount of data. For "in-place migration", upgrading binaries, keeping data as-is, I agree with Artem and Timothy that it's the best to engage Support, otherwise you can run into a lot of troubles, and even damage or lose your data.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Mentor

please consider engaging Hortonworks support who's done this with some former Pivotal customers.

Master Guru

In preparation, get together version #, OS version, # of nodes, RAM/CPU/HDs on each node and what you are using nodes for.

Are you using HAWQ? Greenplum? Gemfire? GemfireXD? Spring XD?

Definitely engage you Pivotal and Hortonworks support teams.

Master Guru

You can upgrade to any version, including Pivotal, by taking the so-called "data migration" approach: setup your new cluster, and transfer data from the old one to the new one. You can copy data directly from one cluster to another using distcp for HDFS files and CopyTable for HBase tables. You can copy Hive tables using export/import of tables. Obviously it's not practical for a large amount of data. For "in-place migration", upgrading binaries, keeping data as-is, I agree with Artem and Timothy that it's the best to engage Support, otherwise you can run into a lot of troubles, and even damage or lose your data.

Contributor

I am also looking for some documentation or proven strategy for this upgrade/migration from PHD to HDP.

Master Guru

You need to engage Hortonworks Professional Services and your current Pivotal support team. If you are in the NorthEast drop me an email and I can help you engage those teams.

You can also engage WANDisco who have some pretty cool migration software:

http://hortonworks.com/blog/migration-to-hdp-as-easy-as-1-2-3-without-downtime-or-disruption/