Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Uprade spark 0.9 to latest using Cloudera manager (5.0.2)

Hi all,

I have installed CDH( 5.0.2) using cloudera manager 5.0.2 by chosing parcels.

Spark 0.9.0+cdh5.0.2+36 version has come with it. 

Now I need to upgrade only Spark to latest version 1.1.x or 1.2.x. 

I have seen ways to do it using cloudera manager parcels but when i click on 'check for new parcels' it just shows older one (0.9.0-1.cdh4.6.0.p0.98).

Is there a way I can upgrade only spark or I need to upgrade complete CDH (5.3.2-1.cdh5.3.2.p0.10) to get latest spark.

Please help me It is urgent.

Thanks,

Sathish.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

The instructions to use Yum would only be for non-parcel and non-Cloudera Manager installations.  When using Cloudera Manager, and in particular our "parcels" packaging format, you need to do upgrades through Cloudera Manager only.

This doc explains the differences between the packages that yum can handle and how we incorporate parcels.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Guru

I believe you will need to at least upgrade Cloudera Manager to the latest version (5.3.2) before it will offer you the opportunity to download newer Spark parcels.  FWIW, the latest CM version should be able to install/manage up to Spark 1.2.0.

I will defer to the experts about whether you can only update Spark and not the rest of the CDH stack...

Cloudera documentation also mentions about 

yum install spark*....

Can I do it to upgrade spark even if I installed it through cloudera manager ? or that way is only for non cloudera manager installation only ?

Guru

The instructions to use Yum would only be for non-parcel and non-Cloudera Manager installations.  When using Cloudera Manager, and in particular our "parcels" packaging format, you need to do upgrades through Cloudera Manager only.

This doc explains the differences between the packages that yum can handle and how we incorporate parcels.

Contributor

Apache just released 1.3.0 and I would like to install that on my CDH cluster. I know it will added to 5.4 CDH release but is there any other way to get it now? Or any other way to upgrade the existing SPARK standalone installation from 1.2.0 to 1.3.0.