Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Upstream chkconfig package causing issues with Cloudera Installer

Upstream chkconfig package causing issues with Cloudera Installer

New Contributor

This issue just popped up within a week or so.

For CentOS 7, the chkconfig package appears to have been updated in the Base Repo and part of the Cloudera Manager install process grabs it as a dependency to install.

chkconfig-1.7.2 appears to break the client_configs.py script which parses output from update-alternatives:

From the GUI, saw multiple different manifestation of issues depending on the version and mechanism used.  5.7.3 install for example ended with a "No CDH version detected".  The Parcel install of the latest release just hung.

In /var/log/cloudera-scm-agent/cloudera-scm-agent.log

[15/Dec/2016 11:20:54 +0000] 23480 MainThread agent INFO CM server guid: a54a1337-b45d-43e6-ad10-ec452ff75557
[15/Dec/2016 11:20:54 +0000] 23480 MainThread agent INFO Using parcels directory from server provided value: /opt/cloudera/parcels
[15/Dec/2016 11:20:54 +0000] 23480 MainThread parcel INFO Agent does create users/groups and apply file permissions
[15/Dec/2016 11:20:54 +0000] 23480 MainThread parcel_cache INFO Using /opt/cloudera/parcel-cache for parcel cache
[15/Dec/2016 11:20:54 +0000] 23480 MainThread agent ERROR Caught unexpected exception in main loop.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cmf-5.9.0-py2.7.egg/cmf/agent.py", line 758, in start
self._init_after_first_heartbeat_response(resp_data)
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cmf-5.9.0-py2.7.egg/cmf/agent.py", line 938, in _init_after_first_heartbeat_response
self.client_configs.load()
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cmf-5.9.0-py2.7.egg/cmf/client_configs.py", line 682, in load
new_deployed.update(self._lookup_alternatives(fname))
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cmf-5.9.0-py2.7.egg/cmf/client_configs.py", line 432, in _lookup_alternatives
return self._parse_alternatives(alt_name, out)
File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cmf-5.9.0-py2.7.egg/cmf/client_configs.py", line 444, in _parse_alternatives
path, _, _, priority_str = line.rstrip().split(" ")
ValueError: too many values to unpack

This ends up stopping the installer no matter which version of CDH you are attempting to install.

I was able to fix by downgrading chkconfig from 1.7.2 to 1.3.61 (and removing some of the depending packages like libreoffice).

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Upstream chkconfig package causing issues with Cloudera Installer

New Contributor
I didn't end this with a question... When does Cloudera expect to fix the parser on CM to handle the updated update-alternatives release?

Super Guru

Hi,

I'm aware of the issue you are seeing based on the stack trace and Cloudera is working on how to address.  There is no fix or targeted release at the time I'm writing this.

The issue is that the agent expects a certain number of columns in the update-alternatives output, but the OpenJDK usually has more.

Removing all alternatives

What I'm interested in is that you mention that chkconfig versioning matters.  Are you saying that the problem *does not* occur when you use an older chkconfig version and then when you upgrade the problem happens?

If so, can you share some of the information you gathered?

To get some background on the work we have done so far, please see:

http://community.cloudera.com/t5/Cloudera-Manager-Installation/Problem-with-cloudera-agent

If chkconfig version is somehow influencing the alternatives command, that would be interesting to know.

Please check out that community discussion and let us know if you believe chkconfig is still involved.  We are very interested to know.

Thanks!

Super Guru

Rereading your post, I see that you did confirm that chkconfig was an influencing factor.  Thanks for that info.

Either way, we (Cloudera) will need to account for the possible differing number of columns in the response to prevent such parsing problems.

Super Guru

Upon one more review of your post, I am stuck on "and removing some of the depending packages".

My guess is that one or more of the packages may have had more than 4 columns in the alternatives output.  Are you sure it was chkconfig and not one or more of the packages you uninstalled?  Do you have a list of all that you removed?

Thanks!

New Contributor

You may be right there..  I saw that the client_configs.py was failing when running the "update-alternatives" command..  and noted that one of my older successful CDH installs was running an older version of update-alternatives.

In the process of reverting to the older version, it required me to remove those openjdk packages which may have resolved the issue anyways.

These were the packages removed that were dependent on the newer version of chkconfig.  Along with a slew of others that were dependant on those packages. 

yum remove java-1.8.0-openjdk-headless-1:1.8.0.111-2.b15.el7_3.x86_64 ntsysv-1.7.2-1.el7.x86_64 java-1.7.0-openjdk-headless-1:1.7.0.121-2.6.8.0.el7_3.x86_64

Was there a recent upstream change that added openjdk to the list of dependencies?

Super Guru

Nope, you were right!

:-)

It seems that the openJDK for RedHat/CentOS 7.2 levarages the "--family" option in later chkconfig.  So, when I install via yum, when I look at what packages will be updated, we see:

Updating for dependencies:
chkconfig         x86_64 1.7.2-1.el7

After the chkconfig update, we see that it now supports the "--family" option:

usage: alternatives --install <link> <name> <path> <priority>
[--initscript <service>]
[--family <family>]
[--slave <link> <name> <path>]*

A big thanks @cloudycloud for helping me take a second look at this.  OpenJDK was the instigator here, but if "chkconfig         x86_64 1.7.2-1.el7" is released, then we'll need to code the agent to be able to parse with the "family" option.

Cheers,

Ben

New Contributor
Hi there! Just having encountered this issue (and having fixed it via the client_configs.py workaround): is there any info as to if and when this issue will be fixed? I am asking because as far as I can see, the issue will reoccur upon upgrading the cloudera agent to the next release. Is there an open issue for this? By the way: the issue occurred during installation of a parcel. Whoever installed the parcel did not check whether the install was successful, because the client_config.py script kept on stalling over and over again. Eventually, the large number of crashes apparently caused the file descriptor limit to be reached, which effectively crippled the name node agent.