Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Use of HiveMetaStoreClient(thereby, HiveConf) to retrieve Hive metadata

Use of HiveMetaStoreClient(thereby, HiveConf) to retrieve Hive metadata

Expert Contributor

Kerberized HDP-2.6.3.0.

I am able to connect to Hive from my Windows machine using the Hive JDBC driver, however, I need to use some methods of the HiveMetaStoreClient . I flipped through the api and wrote a test code which I am executing from an IDE.

private static void connectHiveMetastore() throws MetaException, MalformedURLException {
        //System.setProperty("javax.security.auth.useSubjectCredsOnly","false");
        //System.setProperty("java.security.krb5.conf","C:\\kerb5.conf");
        Configuration configuration = new Configuration();
        //configuration.addResource("E:\\hdp\\client_config\\HDFS_CLIENT\\core-site.xml");
        //configuration.addResource("E:\\hdp\\client_config\\HDFS_CLIENT\\hdfs-site.xml");
        HiveConf hiveConf = new HiveConf(configuration,Configuration.class);
        //URL url = new File("E:\\hdp\\client_config\\HDFS_CLIENT\\hive-site.xml").toURI().toURL();
        //hiveConf.setHiveSiteLocation(url);
        //hiveConf.setVar(HiveConf.ConfVars.METASTOREURIS,"thrift://l4283t.sss.com:9083,thrift://l4284t.sss.com:9083");
        HiveMetaStoreClient hiveMetaStoreClient = new HiveMetaStoreClient(hiveConf);
    }

The dependencies in the pom file:

</dependencies>
<dependency>
        <groupId>junit</groupId>
        <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
        <version>3.8.1</version>
        <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
    <!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.hive/hive-metastore -->
    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.hive</groupId>
        <artifactId>hive-metastore</artifactId>
        <version>2.3.2</version>
    </dependency>
    <!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.hive/hive-exec -->
    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.hive</groupId>
        <artifactId>hive-exec</artifactId>
        <version>2.3.2</version>
    </dependency>
    <!-- https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.hadoop/hadoop-common -->
    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.hadoop</groupId>
        <artifactId>hadoop-common</artifactId>
        <version>2.9.0</version>
    </dependency>
</dependencies>

Irrespective of whether I comment or uncomment the lines pertaining to the config and Kerberos, I receive the following exception which is explained on the Hive wiki:

15:35:27.139 [main] ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler - MetaException(message:Version information not found in metastore. )
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.checkSchema(ObjectStore.java:7564)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.verifySchema(ObjectStore.java:7542)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RawStoreProxy.invoke(RawStoreProxy.java:101)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy8.verifySchema(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.getMSForConf(HiveMetaStore.java:591)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.getMS(HiveMetaStore.java:584)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.createDefaultDB(HiveMetaStore.java:651)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.init(HiveMetaStore.java:427)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.invokeInternal(RetryingHMSHandler.java:148)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.invoke(RetryingHMSHandler.java:107)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.<init>(RetryingHMSHandler.java:79)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.getProxy(RetryingHMSHandler.java:92)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.newRetryingHMSHandler(HiveMetaStore.java:6893)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:164)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:129)
at com.my.App.connectHiveMetastore(App.java:58)
at com.my.App.main(App.java:37)
15:35:27.141 [main] ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler - HMSHandler Fatal error: MetaException(message:Version information not found in metastore. )
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.checkSchema(ObjectStore.java:7564)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.ObjectStore.verifySchema(ObjectStore.java:7542)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RawStoreProxy.invoke(RawStoreProxy.java:101)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.getMSForConf(HiveMetaStore.java:591)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.getMS(HiveMetaStore.java:584)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.createDefaultDB(HiveMetaStore.java:651)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore$HMSHandler.init(HiveMetaStore.java:427)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.invokeInternal(RetryingHMSHandler.java:148)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.invoke(RetryingHMSHandler.java:107)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.<init>(RetryingHMSHandler.java:79)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.getProxy(RetryingHMSHandler.java:92)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.newRetryingHMSHandler(HiveMetaStore.java:6893)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:164)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:129)
Exception in thread "main" MetaException(message:Version information not found in metastore. )
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingHMSHandler.<init>(RetryingHMSHandler.java:83)
Caused by: MetaException(message:Version information not found in metastore. )
... 6 more
Process finished with exit code 1

I have the following questions/concerns:

1. Is the way I am thinking about and connecting the HiveMetaStoreClient correct? If not, how do I retrieve the metadata information provided by the methods of HiveMetaStoreClient ?
  2. The code certainly isn't 'reaching' the cluster. Is the above exception pertaining to the dependency versions? If not, what can be the root cause?
1 REPLY 1

Re: Use of HiveMetaStoreClient(thereby, HiveConf) to retrieve Hive metadata

@Kaliyug Antagonist

To connect to correct Hive Metastore, the details like db info etc., are under /etc/hive/conf/conf.server/hive-site.xml.