Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

VM not starting

VM not starting

New Contributor

I am trying to run the QuickStart VMs for CDH 5.4.x on vmware and i cannot get the VM to power on.  It goes to a black screen and then exits out.  I'm running a 64bit os, i allocated 8gb of RAM to the VM incase that was the issue, still getting the same result.  I'm using the latest vmware player.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: VM not starting

Rising Star

Hi K12,

The usual problems I see stem from not enough RAM.

You increased the VM to 8GB, but really it runs just fine in 4GB, provided your machine has more than 4GB of RAM.

If you have <= 4GB, you can try to run the VM in 3GB, I have seen this work but it can be slow.

The other problem I often see is that people will forget to enable virtualization in the BIOS (not needed for Macs).

HTH, Sue

Master Collaborator
Yeah this sounds to me like the BIOS issue. You want to enable the option
for Intel VT or AMD-V, depending on which chip you're running on.

New Contributor

I had the same issue with VirtualBox image (cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.5.0-0-virtualbox) as it was using Cent OS 6.4. There is a bug in Cent OS 6.4 that leads to a black screen.

I installed VMware image (cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.7.0-0-vmware), it uses Cent OS 6.6. The VM gets past the black screen and boots up successfully now.