Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

VMWare Workstation 12 Player Cannot Open Cloudera VM 5.7 in Windows 8 (VT-X Activated)

VMWare Workstation 12 Player Cannot Open Cloudera VM 5.7 in Windows 8 (VT-X Activated)

New Contributor

Hi, 

Can anyone help with the following:

Background information:

- VMWare version: VMWare Workstation 12 Player (12.1.1 build-3770994)

- 7-Zip 16.02

- Cloudera Quickstart for CDH 5.7 (VMWare)

Issue: Unzipped with 7-Zip in Windows 8, then tried to open with VMWare but got error message: cannot open internal error.  However, if I unzipped with 7-Zip in a Windows 7 machine first (same 7-Zip version), then copy the unzipped folder to the same Windows 8 machine used before, it can then be openned successfully.

Many thanks

John

4 REPLIES 4

Re: VMWare Workstation 12 Player Cannot Open Cloudera VM 5.7 in Windows 8 (VT-X Activated)

New Contributor

Hi,

any errors during the unpack?

Regards,

Michael

Re: VMWare Workstation 12 Player Cannot Open Cloudera VM 5.7 in Windows 8 (VT-X Activated)

New Contributor

Hi, Michael,

Thanks for your reply. 

No, I do not get any error message from 7-zip during unpack in Windows 8.  As for VMWare the only error message I got is "Failed to open virtual machine: Internal error." and I cannot find any log files. 

Thanks,

John

New Contributor

HI John,

how about using the Windows built in unzip utility?

Does this work?

Regards,

Michael

Highlighted

New Contributor

Hi, Michael,

Yes unzipping with the Win 8 built in unzip utility does work.  So in my case, I either have to use 7-Zip to unzip in Windows 7 first or use the built in unzip utility for it to work. 

As a side note, unzip with rar does not work either.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
John