Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

VMware to Hyper-V Image - Here's Some Guidance

VMware to Hyper-V Image - Here's Some Guidance

Rising Star

If you're anything like me and happen to already have Hyper-V running on your machine (personal-use machine) and you want to keep Hyper-V running, you should quickly learn that Hyper-V and VMware Player aren't compatible on the same Operating System.  I suppose you could spin up VMWare Player within a Hype-V image and get something to work, but I didn't want to even attempt going down that road.  Instead, I looked into rconverting an VMware image to Hyper-V.

Let me provide some help in converting a VMware image to a Hyper-V image, in the hope that it will help someone else out:

1. Download and install Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC).  If you have Hyper-V and a VMware instance (not the player), you can use the UI to convert images if you know the IP addresses and credentials for BOTH Hyper-V and VMware.  I only have VMware Player so I could not use the UI as it would prevent me from going forward in their wizard when trying to just convert a single standalone image.
  2. There is another way of doing it via PowerShell that works quite well for me.  Let me share with you the code
#Pre-Check: Make sure you have privileges to execute the PowerShell script by running it as the Admin, or perhaps changing the Set-ExecutionPolicy variable.

#Make sure proper cmdlet is loaded before attempting to run
Import-Module “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter\MvmcCmdlet.psd1" 

#Just for reference for any future improvements if needed
get-command -Module mvmccmdlet 

#Where the actual conversion takes place
ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk -SourceLiteralPath “<FULLY QUALIFIED SOURCE PATH WITH FILE NAME>.vmdk” -DestinationLiteralPath “<FULLY QUALIFIED TARGET DIRECTORY" -VhdType DynamicHardDisk -VhdFormat Vhdx

As you can see, the hard work is done by the MVMC tool and I just supply a few arguments to define the source file, output directory, and vhd type I want, and it does the rest. It does take a bit to convert an image, so don't do it when you're in a rush. 

Hope this helps you out!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: VMware to Hyper-V Image - Here's Some Guidance

New Contributor

It is more easier to use 3rd party software