Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

VMware to Hyper-V Image - Here's Some Guidance

VMware to Hyper-V Image - Here's Some Guidance

Rising Star

If you're anything like me and happen to already have Hyper-V running on your machine (personal-use machine) and you want to keep Hyper-V running, you should quickly learn that Hyper-V and VMware Player aren't compatible on the same Operating System.  I suppose you could spin up VMWare Player within a Hype-V image and get something to work, but I didn't want to even attempt going down that road.  Instead, I looked into rconverting an VMware image to Hyper-V.

Let me provide some help in converting a VMware image to a Hyper-V image, in the hope that it will help someone else out:

1. Download and install Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC).  If you have Hyper-V and a VMware instance (not the player), you can use the UI to convert images if you know the IP addresses and credentials for BOTH Hyper-V and VMware.  I only have VMware Player so I could not use the UI as it would prevent me from going forward in their wizard when trying to just convert a single standalone image.
  2. There is another way of doing it via PowerShell that works quite well for me.  Let me share with you the code
#Pre-Check: Make sure you have privileges to execute the PowerShell script by running it as the Admin, or perhaps changing the Set-ExecutionPolicy variable.

#Make sure proper cmdlet is loaded before attempting to run
Import-Module “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter\MvmcCmdlet.psd1" 

#Just for reference for any future improvements if needed
get-command -Module mvmccmdlet 

#Where the actual conversion takes place
ConvertTo-MvmcVirtualHardDisk -SourceLiteralPath “<FULLY QUALIFIED SOURCE PATH WITH FILE NAME>.vmdk” -DestinationLiteralPath “<FULLY QUALIFIED TARGET DIRECTORY" -VhdType DynamicHardDisk -VhdFormat Vhdx

As you can see, the hard work is done by the MVMC tool and I just supply a few arguments to define the source file, output directory, and vhd type I want, and it does the rest. It does take a bit to convert an image, so don't do it when you're in a rush. 

Hope this helps you out!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: VMware to Hyper-V Image - Here's Some Guidance

New Contributor

It is more easier to use 3rd party software