Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Virtual machine with less resources?

Virtual machine with less resources?

Explorer
Hi
I would like to certificate in ccah 500. I would like install virtual machine to can investigate more.
I see cloudera virtual machine needs 8gb ram. My pc have only 8gb.
There are other possibilities?
Many thanks and sorry for my English
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Virtual machine with less resources?

Community Manager

Welcome to the community @mmm286. The VM only requires 8GB of RAM if you are using Cloudera Express. If you are using the CDH default (without Cloudera Manager) it only requires 4GB of RAM for the VM. You could also use something like Amazon Web Services to spin up a cluster but there are costs involved there. For your specific needs of preparing for CCA-500 the CDH default VM shoudl work well with your amount of RAM. 

There are other requirements for the VM such as a 64bit processor. I suggest checking out our article on How to Setup a Cloudera QuickStart Virtual Machine to ease you into it and in case you run into any issues. 

Cy Jervis, Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:
Community Guidelines
How to use the forum
Highlighted

Re: Virtual machine with less resources?

New Contributor

I have the same problem, I can't install Cloudera Express.

The problem is I don't see any tutorials for that CDH(all of them assume that Cloudera Manager is installed), I can't run Hadoop, HUE, etc.
I'm new with Hadoop and I can't proceed futher.

Could you give me an advice what should I do to run hadoop and lets say to count words.

Thanks