Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

WebHCAT Command was terminated due to timeout.. See templeton.exec.timeout property","exitcode":143

Highlighted

WebHCAT Command was terminated due to timeout.. See templeton.exec.timeout property","exitcode":143

Rising Star

In my Cloudera 5.4.1 environment this webhcat rest query works perfectly

curl -s 'http://mywebhcat:50111/templeton/v1/ddl/database/default/table/person?
user.name=admin&format=extended'; echo; echo;

However if I change the person table to "foo_bar" and issue the same query

curl -s 'http://mywebhcat:50111/templeton/v1/ddl/database/default/table/foo_bar?
user.name=admin&format=extended'; echo; echo;

I get the error

{"statement":"use default; show table extended like 
foo_bar;","error":"unable to show table: 
foo_bar","exec":{"stdout":"","stderr":"which: no /opt/cloudera/parcels/
CDH-5.4.1-1.cdh5.4.1.p0.6/lib/hadoop/bin/hadoop in ((null))\ndirname: missing operand\nTry 
`dirname --help' for more information.\nlog4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.\njava.io
.FileNotFoundException: /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.4.1-1.cdh5.4.1.p0.6/lib/hive/logs/hcat.
log (No such file or directory)\n\tat java.io.FileOutputStream.open0(Native Method)\n\tat 
java.io.FileOutputStream.open(FileOutputStream.java:270)\n\tat java.io.FileOutputStream.<
init>(FileOutputStream.java:213)\n\tat java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.
java:133)\n\tat org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:294)\n\tat org.
apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:165)\n\tat org.apache.log4j.
DailyRollingFileAppender.activateOptions(DailyRollingFileAppender.java:223)\n\tat org.apache
.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java:307)\n\tat org.apache.log4j.config
.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:172)\n\tat org.apache.log4j.config.
PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.java:104)\n\tat org.apache.log4j.
PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigurator.java:842)\n\tat org.apache.log4j.
PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:768)\n\tat org.apache.log4j.
PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:648)\n\tat org.apache.
log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:514)\n\tat org.apache.log4j
.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:580)\n\tat org.apache.log4j.
PropertyConfigurator.configure(PropertyConfigurator.java:415)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hive.
common.LogUtils.initHiveLog4jDefault(LogUtils.java:127)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hive.common.
LogUtils.initHiveLog4jCommon(LogUtils.java:77)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.hive.common.LogUtils.
initHiveLog4j(LogUtils.java:58)\n\tat org.apache.hive.hcatalog.cli.HCatCli.main(HCatCli.
java:65)\n\tat sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)\n\tat sun.reflect
.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)\n\tat sun.reflect.
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)\n\tat java.lang.
reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.
java:221)\n\tat org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:136)\nlog4j:ERROR Either 
File or DatePattern options are not set for appender [DRFA].\nOK\nTime taken: 1.035 
seconds\n Command  was terminated due to timeout(10000ms).  See templeton.exec.timeout 
property","exitcode":143}}

Both tables are healthy in hive and I can go into hive console and query both tables successfully.

I don't know why does cloudera throw an error only for table "foo_bar"... but not for table "person".

EDIT::

Upon reading the error message again, it seems the core issue is

Command was terminated due to timeout(10000ms). See templeton.exec.timeout property","exitcode":143

I searched for "templeton.exec.timeout" in cloudera manager and I did not find this entry.

So now what?? edit files manually in the cluster??

1 REPLY 1

Re: WebHCAT Command was terminated due to timeout.. See templeton.exec.timeout property","

Master Guru

Can you check your WebHCat log on where the timeout fired? Was your HMS too slow to respond, or was it something else?

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here