Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Wget: unable to resolve host address in remote SSL sandbox login

Wget: unable to resolve host address in remote SSL sandbox login

I have downloaded HDP 2.3.2 Sandbox, and I am trying to run in on a Window 7 Professional machine using VirtualBox. The VM runs and I get to the 'main page' displaying the IP address to log on to when using SSH.

Now, I am able to log in on this IP address using ssh (on Cygwin), but then when I try to download anything I keep getting error messages. For instance:

wget <a href="http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a>

results in:

Resolving <a href="http://www.google.com...">www.google.com...</a> failed: Temporary failure in name resolution. 
wget: unable to resolve host address "www.google.com"

I tried to find any suggestions for this online but due to my lack of knowledge I find it hard to progress towards a solution. I also tried the other HDP Sandbox in the VMware player.

Update 12/1: I tried the sandbox at home and this all worked. My conclusion now is that it has something to do with my corporate network. I know also there are work-around methods, but I would very much like to tackle this problem at the core so I will not encounter it in the future.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Also, let me know if you need more information of any sort.

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Re: Wget: unable to resolve host address in remote SSL sandbox login

Rising Star

Have you tried using the "Shell-In-A-Box"? Once the sandbox is running you can go to http://127.0.0.1:4200 and it will act as a terminal to run commands.

Highlighted

Hi Zblanco, thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately both wget and ping do not work in this Shell-in-a-box environment.

Highlighted

Rising Star

Double check the network settings on your sandbox. Make sure that the Adapter 1 is set to NAT and that you're connected to the internet on the host machine.

Highlighted

I tried a large number of different network configurations, including this one (just doubled checked this one in particular), no difference. Any other suggestions/ideas?

Highlighted

Can you successfully ping any IP addresses?

Highlighted

I cannot ping any IP address, but this is also not possible on my local computer due to the corporate network. I can wget on my local computer though.

Highlighted

Rising Star

Hi @Fraukje Coopmans it seems that you have proxy that you go through at your company in order to reach the web. I assume your browser is able to reach the internet because it setup for a proxy. You may want to talk to your network admin to verify. If there is a proxy, there is actually a proxy setting in virtualbox I believe. May I ask what specifically are you fetching to download in the VM? Is it part of a tutorial you are following?

Highlighted

Hi Molina, I want to fetch data from wikipedia about Hortonworks for a tutorial. In a later tutorial I also need to download packages, which I am also unable to do. What information specifically do I need to set up the proxy settings in the VM, currently I have the default on (Auto-detect Host Proxy settings).

Highlighted

Update: I tried the sandbox at home and this all worked. My conclusion now is that it has something to do with my corporate network. I'm very unfamiliar with this and would like to fix this issue, any suggestions are much appreciated!

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here