Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

What are the licensing differences between Splunk Hadoop Connect vs Hunk License?

What are the licensing differences between Splunk Hadoop Connect vs Hunk License?

Explorer

I understand Splunk Hadoop Connect is a free app and Hunk License depends on the no of Tasktrackers.

We have Splunk Administration Enterprise in our organisation and the goal is to perform analytics on Hadoop data and send archived data to Hadoop from Indexes.
I can achieve this via both Splunk Hadoop Connect and Hunk, but my doubt is what's the difference between these two w.r.t licensing, other than the bidirectional data movement that Hadoop Connect provides?

Now if I get Splunk Hadoop Connect app, then the licensing will depend on what parameters?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: What are the licensing differences between Splunk Hadoop Connect vs Hunk License?

Hi @nicole wells

I can not answer for Splunk pricing. However, you can use HDF and specifically NiFi to optimize your log analysis architecture. NiFi can be used to ingest data from several source, store it in Splunk and at the same time in Hadoop. You can also do filtering and enrichment while ingesting which is very helpful.

You can watch this webinar to have more details on this use case : https://hortonworks.com/webinar/optimizing-log-analytics/

Re: What are the licensing differences between Splunk Hadoop Connect vs Hunk License?

Super Guru
@nicole wells

It's difficult for anyone here to speak on behalf of Splunk. You should talk to your Splunk account team. That being said, I played with Hunk back in 2014 and the licensing at the time was based on number of mappers. I can only guess, but i think splunk Hadoop connect is likely using Map Reduce to push data to Hadoop and its licensing will be based on number of mappers. If its using Spark, then it might be based on number of executors. Only their account team can tell you.

That being said, like the other answer, for moving data out of Splunk into Hadoop, its going to be significantly cheaper and easier to use Nifi. Its open source nature allows you to install and test it right now and then you can talk to your Hortonworks account team.