Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

What happened to CDH5.5.2?

Explorer

I went through the upgrade procedure on Wed the 9th to upgrade our Cloudera Manager managed cluster from 5.4.9 up to the 5.5.X version. I had originally intended to go to 5.5.1 but when I started the process I realized that 5.5.2 was available. I first upgraded our Cloudera Manager install to that and then all the agents and finally upgraded the whole cluster to CDH5.5.2. Everything looks to be working properly after upgrade however when I went to add new nodes to the cluster yesterday I found that the debian repository for 5.5.2 wasn't available anymore and I couldn't add any new nodes. I tried pointing to just the 5.5 repository but it was complaining that the agent install wasn't the correct version.

Was CDH5.5.2 pulled? If so what is the recommended course of action I should take on our cluster? CDH5.5.1 parcel is available in cloudera manager for me to "upgrade" to but I wanted to confirm that it would be ok to take that route. Also should I be downgrading Cloudera Manager and all the agents? What's the correct course of action for that piece?

The only reference I can find to CDH5.5.2 release now is this google groups post stating its release: https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/#!topic/cdh-user/a9ANiqPNVw8 All the documentation links are now gone as well as all the debian repositories.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mentor
7 REPLIES 7

Community Manager

Sorry about the confusion.

CDH 5.5.2 was retracted shortly after it's release due to an issue. Hopefully this thread about the topic will be able to answer some of your questions. 

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Explorer

I updated my cloudera manager server to use the 5.5.1 debian repository but after running an apt clean and update it won't let me install cloudera manager since it says it's already the newest version.

ubuntu@manager:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt-get install cloudera-manager-server cloudera-manager-daemons cloudera-manager-server-db-2 cloudera-manager-agent
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
cloudera-manager-agent is already the newest version.
cloudera-manager-daemons is already the newest version.
cloudera-manager-server is already the newest version.
cloudera-manager-server-db-2 is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  linux-headers-3.13.0-45 linux-headers-3.13.0-45-generic
  linux-image-3.13.0-45-generic
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 141 not upgraded.

How should I go about downgrading my cloudera manager to 5.5.1?

Contributor

Hi jrohland,

I wouldn't recommend attepmting to downgrade, as you might hit issues if the database structure has changed.

Please also note that a corrected release isn't too far away, so waiting for this is an option depending how critical it is to add nodes. If you're unable to wait, I would recommend contacting Cloudera support to get a copy of the 5.5.2 release.

Thanks,
MJ

Explorer
What risk do I have running 5.5.2 while we wait for the new release? I can
wait on adding new nodes but is there any information you can give me as to
why the release was retracted?

Contributor

Hi jrohland,

The issue found with 5.5.2 is to do with user login to Cloudera Manager, and applies specifically to Cloudera Manager instances where external LDAP auth is configured:

"When upgrading to Cloudera Manager 5.5.2, customers who have non-read-only roles configured through LDAP, and have not explicitly set Cloudera Manager local roles, may lose their Cloudera Manager privileges set by LDAP."

So if you haven't noticed any issues with permissions for users in Cloudera Manager or you don't use LDAP external auth, there should be no impact. As far as I'm aware this is the only defect we're aware of at this time and the release should otherwise be sound.

MJ

Mentor
CM 5.5.3 is out now with a fix, and CDH 5.5.2 has been re-released. Read more at http://community.cloudera.com/t5/Community-News-Release/ANNOUNCE-Cloudera-Enterprise-5-5-2-and-Cloud...

Explorer
Thanks for heads up, will be upgrading tomorrow.