Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

What is the best way to shut down Hortonworks sandbox without corrupting it using virtualbox?

Rising Star

I learned the hard way that shutting down the hortonworks vm 2.4 sandbox using the virtual box "Power Off" seems to corrupt the VM. What is the best procedure for shutting down the VM gently?

Thanks, Heath

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Heath Yates

1. Using Ambari, stop all the services.
  2. Then, in the sandbox via ssh, type "sudo init 0" or "sudo shutdown now"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Super Guru

@Heath Yates

1. Using Ambari, stop all the services.
  2. Then, in the sandbox via ssh, type "sudo init 0" or "sudo shutdown now"

Rising Star

Thanks. This is in the right direction. Do you have a link or instructions on where I can shutdown all the services in Ambari please?

Rising Star

I had to log in as admin on Ambari. If there is a simple one click way to shutdown all the services. Please let me know or command line. Thanks! 🙂

Super Guru

Yes, when I said "using Ambari", I was referring to the web interface. I apologize for not being more clear.

I'm not aware of a way to stop all services from the command line using as a single command. However, you can use the Ambari API to shutdown services individually. Unfortunately, you have to call the shutdown command for each service.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=41812517

New Contributor

Running HDP 2.5

For 1. I used @Jasper approach

For 2. I was unable to use

[root@sandbox ~]# sudo shutdown now
Broadcast message from root@sandbox.hortonworks.com
        (/dev/pts/0) at 20:39 ...
The system is going down for maintenance NOW!
shutdown: Unable to shutdown system

or

[root@sandbox ~]# sudo init 0
init: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

but Close > "Send the shutdown signal" worked gracefully (as far as I can tell after restarting).

Running HDP sandbox 2.6.1 on VMware.

Can't execute the shutdown commands for the docker in Step 2 via SSH, with the same error messages that @Bob Heckel is getting.

The VMware Player window is useless, since it's interacting with the host VM, not with the hosted docker container for the sandbox.

Now my sandbox appears to be corrupted again, the host VM startup process is getting stuck on starting up the docker.

I am sure there was an architectural justification to migrate to using VM + docker vs. just VM, but it's not working out very well for users.

New Contributor

I should have mentioned I was using VirtualBox v5.1.14

Master Guru

@Heath Yates I suggest you suspend the VM instead. it saves the state to disk. Works great. Been using that method for many years.

Rising Star

I used to use VMWare and switched to virtualbox. By suspending, I assume you mean pausing. Yes?