Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Why can I not install Phoenix through Ambari directly?

Rising Star

This seemed a little odd to me that I had to do an actual `yum install phoenix` command to install Phoenix on HDP 2.3. In HDP 2.2 this was included by default (from what I remember) when I installed the HBase role.

I suspect it was done given the size of Phoenix when I installed it being ~250MB, but this felt unusual to me given I can literally do everything else through the Ambari dashboard. Why this 2nd class treatment for Phoenix?

Are there plans to install Phoenix as a actual role or will the installation be like this going forward for this particular Hadoop project?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

Phoenix is installed per default in HDP 2.3 at least in my version. Its just a set of libraries in hbase that are always installed unless I am completely mistaken now. Or do you refer to the Phoenix Query server? Which gets installed as a client on the nodes? ( When you install you can select it in the window where you also select datanodes, nodemanagers etc.

If you forgot doing that you can install the PQS later on a host using Ambari on the host page. But the Phoenix libraries should be installed with hbase by default.

6005-screen-shot-2016-07-22-at-21559-pm.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Guru

Phoenix is installed per default in HDP 2.3 at least in my version. Its just a set of libraries in hbase that are always installed unless I am completely mistaken now. Or do you refer to the Phoenix Query server? Which gets installed as a client on the nodes? ( When you install you can select it in the window where you also select datanodes, nodemanagers etc.

If you forgot doing that you can install the PQS later on a host using Ambari on the host page. But the Phoenix libraries should be installed with hbase by default.

6005-screen-shot-2016-07-22-at-21559-pm.png

Master Guru

In your other question it looked like there was simply a bug in the phoenix part of the hbase installation. Sometimes that happens. A support ticket would log that. But I am 99% sure that normally phoenix gets installed without any yum commands. in 2.3 and 2.4

Rising Star

Yeah perhaps it's a bug. I saw no indications of the Phoenix jar files when I did a find on a 2.3 system. So I did a yum install phoenix and they got installed. This box was pretty basic with just HDFS, Zookeeper, & HBase. I'll spin another env up and see if I encounter the issue again. Thanks for the help.

Rising Star

At least as of HDP 2.4 (perhaps earlier), Phoenix is part of the HDP installation bundle when you use the Ambari Install Wizard. You need to enable the Phoenix component in the Ambari Services UI after installation is complete. See Using Apache HBase and Apache Phoenix.

Rising Star

I've seen it in as far back as 2.1 that's why I was surprised it was missing in my install.